Featured Help me to decide if I buy this piece? Georgian? Chain with painted pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jan 25, 2024.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I saw this piece at an antique store and they are asking $430 for it. The tag says it is Georgian but I don't know much about that period. It does have various repairs to it and needs some work such as two dots need to be soldered back on the chain.... I am stumped on this piece!! I don't even know what karat it is although I assume 14k. I can also make them an offer. Does anyone have any ideas?
    20240125_132123.jpg 20240125_132129.jpg 20240125_132135.jpg 20240125_132139.jpg 20240125_132143.jpg

bluejay, Dessert58 and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The portrait looks more early Victorian to me. I think the question is the value of the gold.

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

When a piece doesn't make sense, it's usually because it's a marriage. That certainly appears to be the case here. And, as above, the figure is wearing Victorian costume, not Georgian. I'd be cautious about dealing with any antique store that doesn't recognize it as such.

Debora

Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's messy.....and that bale is poorly soldered and that hoop thing looks like a earring........

I say pass..

judy, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Victorian hand motif earring.

Debora

images.jpeg

6. komokwa

is there enuf gold there to warrant the $430?? ( ala MOS..) ;)

judy, johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Its a dogs breakfast, scrap value only.

judy, johnnycb09, Chinoiserie and 2 others like this.
  8. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I think this is one of my favorites that you've shared. It appeals to me, but I do see what the others are saying, either the construction or the repairs do look messy.

judy, mirana, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever met an antiques dealer who handles a delicately painted pendant by putting their finger all over it.

judy, mirana, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  10. komokwa

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this website is reputable at all but they claim this to be a 1700s painted pendant, exactly similar to the one posted. Also, the painting is under glass, hence why so much dirt is trapped underneath of it, the finger isn't on the painting. However you'd be surprised at how many people who work at antique store will get fingerprints all over real photo postcards!

https://www.rubylane.com/item/842257-53-11708/Late-1700s-English-Georgian-Hand-Painted

12. bluejay

bluejay Member

I agree, it's so interesting - that bale is so cute :joyful: but I can see how it's a bit of a mishmash and quite messy.

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Sellers often confuse 1700s with 1800s hence call the pieces 17th or 18th century:facepalm:
    To me, the painting under glass (églomisé) is 1820-1830, consistant era with the fashion the lady is dressed, so 19th century (in France you encounter portraits of king Louis XVIII in small pendants made in églomisé).
    Even if the necklace is a marriage, it is interesting! The chain itself, if in good condition and gold is of good value;)

14. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

It looks like lead solder on the jump ring. Surely not?

I'm not a jewellery expert but the whole thing does look tired and battered. I'm sure you could find something a lot more attractive with your $430.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

HMMM I've been looking for any miniatures that come close to similar portrait style as the portrait in my icon, and this piece is closest yet! Similar eyebrows, nose and mouth, though mine is Georgian in hair/wig style. Might be time to post her for the group... :bookworm:

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

We will welcome her with open arms.:)

mirana and kyratango like this.
  17. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted