Featured Help me to identification order

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Rashit, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Rashit

Rashit Member

Hello.
    Do I ask your viewpoint to help me identification this order?
    This order of the gold.
    Thank you.
    IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0071.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Yes, welcome. Is there anything on the back?

5. Rashit

Rashit Member

Thank you very much for your participation. The order photographed from two sides.
    My guess is that France XVI-XIX century?
    Order very rare.
    Please help me.

6. Bronwen

OK, I see, it is the same on both sides.

BadgeSynop.jpg

My first thought was also that it was French. I do not see anything like it among the French medals shown on Wikipedia.

Some Imperial Russian medals are more like it, such as the ones for St. Anne and for St. Vladimir.

Maybe a member who knows more will provide correct information, but I think it is not usual for such things to be the same on both sides. The French do beautiful work in medals, enamel & miniature painting. This figure is not well done & mass produced. I am having doubts about whether this is a genuine badge of honor.

7. Rashit

Rashit Member

I agree with you that it is rough work, compared to orders of France. But I'm pretty sure it's not Russian order. Think it's early, knightly order.
    Sincerely yours, Rashit.

8. Bronwen

It is machine made, limiting how old it could be. The only other search I can think of now is for 'order of saint'.. If I have any other ideas, will look again. Hoping to hear from you that you have found it. :happy:

9. Rashit

Rashit Member

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It looks austrian to me, i’ll keep looking for a match

11. Rashit

Rashit Member

Thank you for participating. New photos.

EA822E70-B5D2-4C31-9B2D-71BB4FA7EA5C.jpeg 542B8554-2978-4863-A84E-C057FF2C5113.jpeg 474DDDDF-3CD7-4A8C-BD7F-07998D79178B.jpeg D7C837EB-76E1-4E5D-9D54-7C18DEC4A88A.jpeg

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't find an identical match. I looked for a good few hours on google images trying a variety of different searches, and nothing came up quite the same. One area I found that I didn't explore as in depth was Papal or Vatican medals, this may be a dead end but who knows. I also find it interesting that many of the similar items I looked at typically have a crown above the medal (connecting the medal to the ring) whereas this medal does not. Would it be fair to classify the red and white portion of the medal as a "Knights Cross"?

13. Rashit

Rashit Member

Good afternoon. I think this a sign of the French. Compare pictures of badge of the order of St. Louis ( the ring, etc.).With respect Rashit.

989A0F4E-286A-4642-9079-834EB4DD66AF.jpeg 955D0F12-8A81-4A62-A9FA-5D8BF0F449DF.jpeg 33A7E22D-475C-4663-B5E1-9584B83258E6.jpeg

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could be.....could just be fantasy...and made by the same company....

15. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Also my idea!
    Nothing I ever seen.
    It could be a carnival medal, in use in Germany,Belgium and the Netherlands...

16. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

The ribbon also rises questions to me! No construction you would expect to see on regular medals.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like furniture trim....:hilarious:
    this item is losing it's luster post by post.....:(

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It may be from a fraternal organization. OP didn't say in what country he/she found it.

19. Rashit

Rashit Member

Good afternoon. I searched on Google and in books and not found the answer, wrote in the Tallinn Museum of chivalry, here is their response -

You have a very unusual character, probably made in France, Spain or Poland, the first half of the 19th century. It's not a sign of any state order and not an early version of the insignia of state orders. Unfortunately, any more I can't help it if we find new information, will inform you..
    In my opinion, unlikely carnival medals made from gold.
    Ribbon sewn with Golden thread.
    Please pay attention to the ring and the bracket order. I found the similarities between this sign and the order of St. Louis, released in 1819 and later( Order of St. -Loust-Orders-France-Europe-eMedals. Lots: EU12117, EU12756, EU4773).

Can be who have the opportunity to make a request to the Paris Museum of the Legion of honor. I know that I acquired as a very rare sign of the order.
    With gratitude to all those involved, Rashit.

61B4598E-F598-47F1-A464-C2E89644047C.jpeg 19853C10-9882-4123-B3F0-F6B910E20512.jpeg

20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello Rashit. A very nice puzzle for us to solve, but this could be a tough one.
    I think you (and the museum in Talinn) are right in thinking this is a French order. It may be of one of the lesser known French knightly organisations/orders. The insignia of those orders are often on plain ribbons.
    I seem to have seen the centre figure before, but can't remember where, sorry.
    As Bronwen said, it is probably a saint. Find the saint, and you find the order. Maybe @kyratango recognizes the image?

Draft saved Draft deleted