Help me to read the text

Discussion in 'Art' started by oleg01, Oct 26, 2019.

1. oleg01

oleg01 Member

This text on a backside of painting. Please, maybe this text written of french, please read and translate it to english.
    Thank you. 01.jpg 07.jpg 09.jpg 12.jpg 04.jpg

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but might be out of luck trying to read it. It's pretty faded.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For Mr (name ) and Mrs. (name) a small rememberence / souvenir of St (something place name) 28 October 1945.

Seeing the front might help with the location.

4. oleg01

oleg01 Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It was a Sunday. And -- trivia -- the next day, ballpoint pens went on sale for the first time!

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    kyratango, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't translate it, but attempted to bring it out more.....not great though.......sorry.....

ZZZZZZ 07-AB.jpg

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Pastel? I think it is well done, I would frame and hang that in my house :)

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be nice to identify location. Clues -- what appears to be river, pier, institutional building, blue flag, monument -- but I can't. From information on internet, seems he was based in NYC in the late 1940s. (And New York has a blue-based state flag.) Anyone?

Debora

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@oleg01, two things: It does look like there's a spire and a monument in the background, and of course, it IS on a river....just don't know that that is enough to locate the image! Secondly, sorry for the brightness, but it was the only way I found to bring the writing on the back out a bit more.....IF it helps any more....that's about all I can do! And yes, to me it does look like French.....wasn't worried about the date, as you already know that.....

ZZZZZZZ 07-01.jpg

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

One thing about the possible NY location - that boat looks nothing like the kind of vessel that would have plied the waters of the Hudson or the Erie Canal in the mid-20th century.

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The boat looks like it might be a sailing barge, for use on rivers where the masts can be folded down to pass under bridges. A Thames sailing barge, perhaps?

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted