Help me with makers mark

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 10, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

So I thought I’d make this a bit suspenseful. I have a new find and the story of how I found them. Before I post the full photos I was hoping someone could identify the maker:

B84C5B57-2A0C-43A9-A7D7-D26464DF36B9.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

aaroncab, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ohhh...u devil you !! :happy::happy::happy::playful::playful::playful:

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, thank you so much bakersgma for the lightning fast identification of the marks. Here’s a short story that possibly describes my never ending obsession to find silver. Today I’m on a weekend family vacation camping in a park away from home. I figured before we left for our trip I would search the local Facebook marketplace in the area we were visiting.

This morning I came across a listing titled “antique tea set” with nothing else offered about the pieces. Lots of items were shown in one photo so I asked the seller to check the bottom and let me know the maker of the set.

I send lots of messages like this, most of the time nothing comes back. Flash forward to later today and the seller messages me with the makers marks you saw in the first photo. Hopped in my car, drove 40 minutes away, paid $75 and went back to my family vacation. Everything else I bought was quadruple plated. Here’s the treasure:

3B806B33-3215-4404-8720-D2B62E8E08DE.jpeg 0F5F10C7-BDF4-4B2E-8699-5FA68421A087.jpeg 6C47D5F3-4294-4BA6-BDBD-AB3C20E0DE50.jpeg 1178723A-D8C4-4D26-961F-B936BB9FEBCF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    sabre123, judy, Houseful and 8 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ah, the silver whisperer strikes yet again.

judy, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. komokwa

sheesh......and the seller saw the sterling mark....and still Mr.N8 makes out like a bandit !!!

Nice find Silver Whisperer !!!! :playful::playful::playful:

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lovely, Nate! Can't wait to see them polished!

judy, Houseful and MrNate like this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Me too! I know these are going to take awhile, someone let them go so long without a polish. That makes it even more fun for me to see the beauty underneath.

SBSVC likes this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Alright, scrubbing is finally complete. They're back to being beautiful (ps: they are chunky heavy):

IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPG

Iouri, quirkygirl, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

WOW, Nate! Great job! Again, WOW...

MrNate and aaroncab like this.
  11. komokwa

you da man...Mr n8 ... sterling should be your middle name !!

MrNate and aaroncab like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Nate - I wish you wouldn't refer to your silver cleaning as "scrubbing." It gives the wrong impression to the uninitiated about how silver is to be properly cleaned.

judy and MrNate like this.
  13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's a good point bakersgma, I'll try to think of a better word. To me, scrubbing is a good description of hard work to carefully bring an item back from deep tarnish, but I can totally see how someone might construe it as being rough with a piece. I went through countless q-tips carefully polishing in the cracks and crevices, definitely not an abrasive activity to bring them back to shiny.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Of course, we can see from your "after" pics that your cleaning work was not scrubbing per se. Quite competently done.

MrNate likes this.
  15. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nice profit, Nate!

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted