Help naming these little guys .....

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Casey3, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Casey3

Casey3 Member

These were found in a box and I'm not sure of the name or their purpose. Nothing else in the box seemed to be related to them. Do they connect to anything? Have any of you ever seen something like this?

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

60059924-D25E-4230-8522-D3B8C29F5485.jpeg

Please check Full Image for photos. :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Dovetail jigs?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Moe, Larry, & Curly?

sorry - I am unable to control myself..............

Thank goodness this is still allowing me to edit! I wanted to apologize for being disruptive BEFORE the subject was tackled and discussed. I usually wait until others have shared their knowledge before I take things off on a tangent. I know how annoying it can be, but trust me, I do not mean to be flippant or to denigrate anyone's quest for answers. You'd think that being told to "GROW UP" for three quarters of a century would have made a mark, but....................I suppose I am still stuck in the beginnings of that first quarter of a century!

besides, I can always claim that my medications made me do it..................

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    SBSVC, judy, Rayo56 and 10 others like this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Mandons, Welcome Home!!!!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They don't look to me to be production pieces from a tool manufacturer; more like hand-made jigs cut from a piece of linear gear.

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Not to take this thread any further off topic than I have, but thank you for the welcome (back!). Its makes me glad to see you post, as I hadn't seen you here since my return and was adding you to my list of "Ask Abouts". So glad there is no need to!

8. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

I'm not positive but these look like they maybe part of a chuck for a lathe. Generally there are three/four hold down legs which are adjusted in or out depending on the size of the object being turned. However these would just be a part of the tooling, the main body is obviously missing here in above photos.
    [​IMG]

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

YES - they are more probably for a small (6" or 8") metal lathe 3 jaw chuck - not a 4
    And them small dudes are pretty worn - had a great lifetime!

10. Michael77

Hi Ray, Yes I agree with you. My lathe chuck has 3 legs the teeth are cut so as you tighten the jaw they move together and they have be placed at the proper location on the chuck or they wont move together as designed

i need help, Aquitaine and Rayo56 like this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Actually good - 3 jaw chucks automatically center the piece you tighten in them - fun to use - should have a 4 sided chuck key to tighten the jaws

i need help, Aquitaine and Michael77 like this.
  12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

A pic of a home made "stoppage tool" so the chuck head can't spin and the "chuck tool' to tighten the 3 Jaws
    [​IMG]

13. Michael77

Yes indeed, I've made the mistake when flipping the jaw legs around to turn larger pieces of not getting back in the proper slots, then it goes all kattywampus. Mine are labeled A,B and C. Turning is a lot of fun!!

i need help and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Michael77

So I'm guessing you turn also?

15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Turn? I had my own wood pattern shop making patterns for foundries. My wood lathe was from out of a Cleveland Heights School woodworking shop - I think 1928 leather belt - OLIVER,
    20 inch' enjoy
    000_3292.jpg

Casey3, Jivvy, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Fooled by the wear!

i need help and Aquitaine like this.
  17. Michael77

Wow that awesome! Oliver great machine, getting kind of rare but there out there. I thought mine was big, I just have a little 48" Delta/Rockwell late 60's early 70's. It runs like a top.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There go the guys again...gettin' all mechanical on some of us:jawdrop::joyful::smuggrin::smug::rolleyes::D

kyratango, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just curious @Rayo56.....what is the bucket of rocks for?????????:rolleyes::smuggrin:

(@Mansons2005 ......you are NOT the ONLY ONE who does not stay on topic!!!!!:happy::happy::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: )

20. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Rayo, what a beautiful lathe. My FIL would have loved it. He was very talented in working with wood and metals - becoming a lost art.
    Patd

Rayo56 and Michael77 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted