Help needed-design and year of flatware piece

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Robin L. Kiskunes, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Hello guys and gals,

My grandmother has a set of Simeon & George Rogers Company forks, knives and spoons with this design/patter. Can someone please inform me what is name of the design/pattern for this piece and approximate year of make? I find this design so beautiful.

Also can someone explain what it means when it says A1 on the back of a flatware piece? I think it means silver plated? Are collectors interested in A1 flatware or only sterling silver flatware?

Last question, the set comes in a beautiful old wooden box made especially for flatware. Does the design and condition of the box add greatly to the value of a flatware set?
    1DSCN0058b.jpg 2DSCN0060a.jpg 3DSCN0061a.jpg 4DSCN0064a.jpg 5DSCN0070a.jpg 6DSCN0072a.jpg 7DSCN0073a.jpg 8DSCN0075c.jpg 9DSCN0076a.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This appears to be the Arcadia pattern, circa 1914. The A1 is the indication that the plating is in the standard thickness.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

As Bakersgma stated, it is plated. Boxed silverplated flatware sets are a hard sell in my Midwestern USA big city area. There are always several listed on my local FB marketplace and they seem available at just about every estate sale. Unfortunately, one is lucky to get even $50 for them. My 86yo mother passed away earlier this year and we couldn't shift hers even for that. The beauty and condition of the flatware or the box doesn't seem to mean much. Most were well kept and no one wants to polish silverplated flatware anymore (not that they ever did, LOL, but 18/10 stainless steel is so much easier!)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted