Help needed finding a wine/ GNT glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by huckel berrry, Jan 31, 2018.

1. huckel berrry

huckel berrry New Member

Hi there
    This may seem unusual to this forum but I am looking for a wine/ GNT glass that will break easily

The kind of glass I am looking for will shatter easy with the human voice! Please see this link
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr...7k1j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.4OLhugPnmtM
    In the video he breaks the glass with his voice at about 550hrz (a C5-C#5 in music notation)

Now I have a wine glass and a GMT glass myself and I have tested the resonance frequency of them bough (that is the frequency Of sound it vibrates at and is the frequency needed to brake it). I have tapped bough my glasses with a spoon and using my pitch detector bough read a C6 which is about 1.1khrz
    (the high soprano note) for which is about double the frequency used in the above video. I know the frequency in the video is correct because I have cross refranced it against my piano and it is a C5 and not a C6

The next question would be is where do I find a glass with such low resonant frequency. Well from what I have read online. The easiest glasses to use are crystal glasses, they have a much thinner wall too. One site I read said that the frequency of all crystal glasses where the same. So from that it would be obvious to assume that a glass made from crystal would be the ideal choice. Have a look at the link again please.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?dcr...7k1j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.4OLhugPnmtM
    And do you think that this is indeed a crystal glass? And given its size what type of glass dose it look like?

Thanks
    Huckel Berry

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Huckel Berry and welcome - I think you'll need to try a variety of crystal glasses to find the frequency you are looking for. I'm not sure the information you are seeking is available any other way. Most charity and second hand stores here in the US have used crystal at very cheap prices. If you have a hand held pitch detector you could test the glasses before you purchase.

The video is a little frightening in that the glass he shatters is so close to his face. That really was not a good idea. Thanks for the interesting question though. I found the search for an answer quite educational.
    Don

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Interesting question Huckel Berry, and well answered by Don. Just wondering, do you need it for a performance?

judy likes this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Remember "crystal" is and EU term for glass with 24% lead content. In the USA makers used crystal for a description of colorless glass with or without lead content. USA collectors call old glass with lead content flint glass. New USA is lead crystal. Not all lead glass stem ware is thin.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted