Featured Help needed on Chinese /Japanese marks on tea pot

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ray Matthews, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:
    My opinion is mostly based on the shape of spout and filter

how long does it take for silver to acquire this natural patina. few months, few years or decades? and how intensively must you have used it to get those scratches, dents? can you also see this intensive use inside the pot?

is that the only modern repair? isn't the hand soldered to the teapot ? and maybe also the spout and filter?

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What an odd set of questions.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The questions and the way they are posed ('bombing') come across as testing the person rather than wanting to know the actual facts. It could be me, but it looks like games playing.
    Btw, Rec, you didn't give any explanation for your conclusion that it was modern. And now this question bombing? You've got things in reverse order, another thing that creates the impression of games playing.
    If you are, I shall have to disappoint you, my health doesn't permit silly games.

As for the dents and scratches, if you are truly interested, that could be due to an accident or to the psychological make up of the users, the same as dents and scratches on any other material. The psychology of the user is a case for a psychologist, not me.
    In general I advise that silver be treated with care.
    Especially from someone who up til a few days ago didn't even know what a 925 silver mark meant. And soldering, why, that has been around since the Bronze Age. Expert in a day, I wish it were that easy.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

You go girl! :):):):):)

bercrystal, Rec and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

:kiss:

bercrystal likes this.
  6. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Dear AJ,
    I did not realize that I needed to clarify my answer further. pictures speak for me the volumes. Had you asked me to clarify my position, I would have done it with pleasure.

but you didn't. You have chosen to believe that I based my opinion on clean teapot interior. You thought that you were right and that I must therefore be wrong.

You feel attacked because I respond to your post.
    explain why I consider this teapot vintage and that despite your explanation, I have not changed my position.

Instead of answering the questions asked, you choose to question my good intentions. Please dont!!!.
    I think this community was created to learn from each other. I believe that we as a community get better if we can criticize / challenge each other. That means asking critical questions but also accepting that you can get them.

I think your comment about 925 silver brand is quite hurtful and fake:confused:. I think you mistakenly value me for someone else.
    about soldering. I pointed the quality of the soldering work.

furthermore, if I have unconsciously hurt you, I want to apologize to you. I assume that you had a bad day and that you had to take a moment. you hurt me but i forgive you.

7. Any Jewelry

That is what we do here, we explain.
    No I didn't, that is your conclusion.
    Again, your conclusion, I actually wrote that I had no reason to believe the teapot isn't antique. You had chosen not to give us any, remember?
    I would like to know where you read that I felt attacked. I do not consider the possibility of someone wanting to play games an attack. If someone does want to play games, I think that is plain silly.
    I am not the only one who thought your barrage of questions odd. And might I remind you that you yourself never explained your statement.
    I believe that we as a community get better if we are civil to each other. What you did clearly wasn't civil, and I am not the only one who thought so.
    And how was it fake? Do you want to deny what you asked in this thread:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/anything-interesting.55233/
    No you didn't, you wrote: "isn't the hand soldered to the teapot ?"
    Is that your apology? "Oh I apologize, but it is really your fault." Really Rec?
    By the way, I never have bad days, even my husband is amazed by that. But I feel no need to accept bad behaviour.
    Wie kaatst kan de bal verwachten. Don't start and you won't get a reaction.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  8. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

you may believe what you believe AJ, its okay.

9. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

10. Any Jewelry

Don't be silly Rec, as far as I'm concerned this stops now.

11. Any Jewelry

@Ray Matthews , I am sorry for what happened yesterday. I had no idea my simple post about the authenticity of your Meiji era tea brewing pot would lead to such an odd reaction.

Anyway, back to your beautitul 'yokode kyusu'.
    As I said before, and at the risk of another nasty episode, I have no reason to believe the teapot isn't antique. I still don't know the maker, but I do know official Japanese assay marks were introduced in june 1928. That places the manufacture of your teapot before that date, since it doesn't have any assay marks.
    In my opinion it was made well before 1928, as this is a known Meiji style and the Meiji era ended in 1912.
    Unfortunately my computer refused to upload photos yesterday, and I knew that without proof any statement about hallmarking would have been doubted, in spite of the fact that the claim that it was a modern piece was never substantiated.

Today my computer was more complying,;) so below are photos from the English translation of the Tardy book on silver, generally respected. I checked it against an older French edition, and a German book on silver marks.
    I hope these photos will help confirm that it is indeed an antique piece, despite a claim to the contrary.
    I have found no record of these pieces being reproduced, and doubt it would be profitable, considering Japan's high wages.

upload_2020-10-29_11-20-4.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-29_11-20-37.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-29_11-20-53.jpeg
    upload_2020-10-29_11-21-11.jpeg

And here is another Meiji Era dragon themed teapot, with verified marks:

[​IMG]
    https://fineart.ha.com/itm/silver-a...iod-early-20th-century-marks-/a/13153-27044.s

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. Ray Matthews

Ray Matthews New Member

Thank you all very much for your responses up till now I was relying on pictures before the tea pot arrived Today I took delivery. The dragon images on side and lid are applied not repoussé they are of quite extraordinary detail each scale and claw and whiskers applied. it is a good weight 398grams
    Thanks Ray

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I love the handle.

anundverkaufen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted