Featured Help needed with age of 2 cameos, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Sep 30, 2023.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

The first has a wood base/background and is about 1 3/4" long and 1 1/4" wide. the cameo itself feels like it is made of celluloid. Some of the finish is gone on the tops of the pearly beads. 1940's-1950's?

The second one is a pendant and sits in filigree frame (as yet uncleaned). I thought at first the warrior was carved MOP but then I read the earlier thread about MOP cameos coming into fashion later and the setting on this one looks early. The back looks pinkish so possibly another shell was used? It is 1 3/4" long and 1 1/4" wide including the frame. I have no guesses on age so I would appreciate help on the material and date.

As always, thanks so much for looking and pointing me in right direction.

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg Resize 3.jpg

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg

Resize 3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm thinking mid-20th century on both... let's see if the experts already tagged by komo agree! :)
    I agree with celluloid or some early plastic on the first (I don't know the differences), and MOP on the second. Your "warrior" is, I believe, the goddess Athena.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    Dessert58, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What she said. First could be 40s. Despite the retro mount, MOP Athena looks 50s to my eyes.

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  5. Bronwen

Note the crazing to the material. Wood may crack, but it does not craze that way. The background is also some early polymer.

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  6. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I agree with the experts!

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  7. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Simona Buhus likes this.
  8. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Congratulations, well done!
    ❤️

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Lizzie

@Bronwen I know it sometimes tough to tell from pictures but the first one is definitely a wood base. I think what you see as crazing is just the grain. The front of the wood has been coated with a shellac or lacquer as it has a glazed finish.

I knew from an earlier discussion here that if the second one was indeed MOP than it was mid-century or so but I was hoping it wasn't MOP and was earlier. But MOP it is. Now I need to get the setting cleaned up and hopefully it will wind up a pretty piece.

BY the way...Is it Athena as Bluumz thinks?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

It's the finish I wasn't picking up on. You are right, that's what has crazed.

Yes it is Athena. Pretty much every cameo/intaglio you see described as 'a centurion' or as 'a Trojan' is Athena. (Why do people think Trojan? Troy lost the war.)

mirana likes this.
  11. Lizzie

@Bronwen thank you for the information. LOL, I promise I won't call any warrior a trojan.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted