Help needed with age of old barn bench and repair advice.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

When I searched these, the age ranges are all over the place and nobody gives any real points of reference. This is 44" long, 17" wide and stands 21 3/4" tall.

There is another one but the top is loose. What is the best way to repair? Nail or glue or both? Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Oldish! Do I see a handsome coffee table in the offing?

As to repair, what I see nowadays is - glue it in place and then nail it down!

But ask Brad. :)

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Do whatever was there before.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Mill Cove Treasures

It is the perfect height for a coffee table. I will have to take a closer look at the other one. I think there may be holes on the bottom where there were nails.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would glue and nail. However do not use any new modern glue. Just use an old fashioned glue like Elmers. Something that can be removed without a problem. I may be a tad old fashioned but better safe than sorry. Always use something that can be removed without a problem.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm into screwing it down with a screw gun! It'll always be handled, picked up, moved around - by the wide top so nails will eventually come loose and glue will fail.

If nailing, I'm with Greg on the type of glue to use but I'd use the Elmer's Carpenter Glue. It's barely stronger than their white paper glue, and is not problematic to remove. I'd also use a trim gun to nail it rather than a hand-held hammer. By this method, the few nails will sink automatically with the air pressure and can be easily filled. Of course this same nailing can be done by hand but hand nailing will knock the sub joints around much more.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    This thing has reminded me of my old milking stool. Most are three legged for stability. Mine had four legs and a hole in the center to make it easier to carry. This thing was made by one of my ancestors many years before I was born. It was used up until the late 1950s. It was painted every two years to keep it from rotting. I had to paint it since I was 6. It had so many coats of paint usually red,
    I swear it was 2" thicker. I imagine it has been stripped of paint and prized by someone as a true blue antique. It was never nailed, only had the legs doweled into the seat. Thanks for the memory.
    greg

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:) I like the picture, Greg!

By the way, do you, or anyone else reading this, know what to use instead of mothballs :( ?

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks for the tips.

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Here's one so this makes it....
    a stool sample.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Use wood glue to make the joint strong. Shouldn't have to clamp if nailing or screwing but it never hurts to do so. If nailed from the top, try to use old nails or reproduction square nails.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks again Brad. Any idea how old this is?

13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Cedar litter for hamster cages............worked for Mama's Chanel sweaters.

silverthwait likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

There are alternatives to mothballs for clothes moths and carpet beetles. The most important point to remember about clothes moths is that soiled cloth is much more likely to become infested. Do not put clothes that have been worn into long-term storage without first cleaning them. Dry cleaning is the most effective method for removing eggs and larvae of insect pests.

Store clean clothes in plastic bags or boxes that are tightly sealed. Be cautious of imported wool textiles especially. Dry clean any soiled item before you bring it home. Infested drawers and closets should be completely emptied and wiped down with a mild solution of household cleaner. Dry clean all wool or silk articles, non-wool or silk articles can be washed and dried under heat.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Cedar oils, at concentrations present in cedar chests, closets and scented wood blocks, have almost no value as moth or beetle repellents. The value of a cedar chest is that the chest is tightly closed, thus preventing entry of moths or beetles. So enjoy the aroma of your cedar but don't expect it to chase away any bugs!

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Almost impossible to give an accurate age on something like this. It would have been made the same way for 100 years or more. If put together with square nails, it is likely 19th century but such things have been faked as well. Hard to fake legitimate wear, tear, and discoloration of the wood and this does exhibit all of this. Can't see any saw marks but these can be used to help date as well.

17. Mill Cove Treasures

I only had my cell phone camera. I might be able to get some better shots on Wednesday. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted