Help needed with old lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Oct 19, 2020.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about purchasing an old oil lamp, that was converted a long time ago to electricity. The problem is, while I love the look of the lamp, I don’t know what exactly it is! The seller thinks it was a ship’s lamp but I doubt that, as it’s made of sheet iron and not brass. Any thoughts on its original purpose and age will be gratefully received...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'd call that a lantern, not a lamp, or a light. Might get more hits. The reflector (possibly mercury glass) would project the light outward in multiple directions. Possibly for an entry way of a home or place of business. Some of these were used with candles.

I've seen similar ones referred to as "tole" or "toleware" but I have no clue why:

https://tinyurl.com/yxnyzlct

Bakersgma, judy, David Askett and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

David, you didn't mention what size your lamp is.....with the mounting brackets on the back, sounds like @sabre's pretty much on track....looks like a fairly large lamp from your image....here's a somewhat different looking one (portable!) from 1st Dibs/UK...but you can see the venting on top for the kerosene...(if I'm correct!)
    https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/furniture...antern-mercury-glass-reflector/id-f_13502772/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    David Askett and 808 raver like this.
  4. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Thank you, Aquitane! The lamp in the link you sent is very similar to the one I’m considering, in size and design. I’m a little shocked by how much it sold for, too - makes the one I’ve been offered seem like the deal of the century!

judy likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I never quite believe the 1st dibs prices, unrealistic. Yours is not a ship lantern, but it's in great shape for a restoration. :cat:

David Askett and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted