Help Needed with Porcelain Bird Figurines

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I buy collectible porcelain bird figurines from time to time because they sell well at my B&M space. I select the pretty ones (IMO) but I'm not always real concerned about the marks since my customers don't seem to care.

My question is this. I bought a bird marked Cybis. Most sellers on eBay are asking fairly high prices for Cybis figurines. Is this a really good name in porcelain? A seller with the same bird as mine is asking $179 BIN (with 6 watchers) while another was sold at auction for $20.50. Here's the birdie. That seller calls it a Wren which is what it looks like to me as well.

DSCF3532.jpg

I have another 3 figurines which I got at auction for dirt. Checked them on eBay and it appears that they were made by Boehm. The previous owner attached wood bases to all of them, I guess cuz that was her preference. Will they still sell with the mark covered up and a wood base added? She got the wood bases from Andrea by Sadek so that's who everyone thought made them. Here's one of them. It's a baby blue bird. I also have a baby blue jay and a baby robin. TIA!

DSCF3578.jpg

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Looks like it's on there cockeyed too. :(

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

King, that's how I figured out that the stands were added later. If you nudge the base of the figurine a little, it moves. I think the person used some kind of putty or maybe wax. I'm just afraid to force it off the pedestal for fear of damaging the figurine. Unless you all think I should try it, maybe with a flat putty knife?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

It could just be a bit of silicone and twist off....but of course I don't know. If you use a tool, use wood or plastic! And wiggle it ><, not pry with it.

Pat P likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yay! I did exactly what you said and the base popped right off. The sticky stuff looks like it will clean off easily. Thank you!

Pat P, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

YAY! :)
    Is it clear? Then it is likely silicone.
    Careful if there is a label. White vinegar may work...

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So now that you've popped it off the bade, do you see the mark to confirm it's Boehm?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's clear. It reminds me of that adhesive they use when you get a new credit card and the card is attached to a piece of paper. You peal off the card and the adhesive is left behind. Little boys like to peal the adhesive off the paper, attach it to their upper lip, and gross people out! Who says kids need toys?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, the mark is fine and fully visible.

10. KingofThings

Ha! ;)
    Much like it but I've not heard of or seen that! :)

11. KingofThings

YAY! :)

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If a BIN has all those watchers, it's probably because those people want to know if someone will actually pay that much for it - not because they're thinking about buying.

I'd be inclined to think of the auction price as wholesale.

A picture of the Cybis mark might help to date it.

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The mark is hand painted directly onto the figurine.

DSCF3537.jpg

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

To my eye, that mark most closely resembles the 1953 mark shown in Lehner's Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain & Clay.

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I think I have that book around here somewhere, will go look for it. It never occurs to me to use it for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted