Featured Help on portrait miniature signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by Magazzino della Zita, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Hello!
    The signature on this miniature portrait seems to be G. Ehtrel. I could not find any reference of such artist anywhere. Has anybody come across this before? Or could it simply be the name of the sitter?
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Regards
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know how seller dated that to the 1850s.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  4. Thank you for your comments.
    I had seen that item, but unfortunately it does not provide any information as to the artist (they interpreted the last letter as a "B", while I thought it might be an "L".
    As to the dating, the miniature found by Lithographer seems to be older than 1850, considering the dress of the subject. I would think more XVIII century? The clothing style of my miniature also seems to point towards the last decades of the XVIII century.
    Am I correct?
    Ciao
    Andrea

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Point to" but it's a fantasy piece. Those marcel curls pure 1920s.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 6.22.50 AM.jpeg

images.jpg

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think yours the same age. 1920s. Cupid bow lips, thin extended brows.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

komokwa and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree with Debora, a fantasy piece. The piece does have significant age but the portrait is styled to appear older than the item.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    komokwa and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The proof in the seller's cause could be found by going back and searching for a genuine 1850s miniature. There is nothing like from the period.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you sure your box isn't celluloid?

Debora

10. Now that you tell me and upon closer inspection....it very well might be celluloid! It is quite shiny, the surface is not porous and it does sond more like plastic.
    Enclosed is a detail picture of the inside of the top cover. It looks like the external frame is made of ivory, but the rest of the box has more plastic feel. If it is celluloid, it does imitate quite well the veined pattern of ivory. But considering your suggestions, I think you are very close to the truth

[​IMG]

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That would be appropriate for a 1920ish date.

Debora

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I think you are referring to Schreger lines.

Mammoth ivory on the LEFT, elephant ivory on the RIGHT:
    [​IMG]

13. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

I have sold many of these over the last 30 years.
    I don't agree that it is a fantasy piece. I would say yours is circa 1880 to 1890 and yes it is indeed real ivory. There are many prominent well know artist but probably 1000s of amateur artist unknown to the mainstream. This doesn't answer who the artist is, but I can assure you the statement "fantasy piece" is incorrect.

14. Again thank you for all this info.
    The two microscope images of mammuth and elephant ivory are exactly what I was looking for, also for future reference.
    Based on those I think I can confirm that my box is mainly celluloid with a small frame in elephant ivory? would you agree with that? The "celluloid" shows a pattern, visible in the first photos, but it is probably an easily obtainable effect
    And as time placementis concerned, I would tend to agree towards the las decades of the 19th century.
    Ciao
    Andrea

Draft saved Draft deleted