Featured Help Please? Maker of Dragon / Lion Jardiniere?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Darkwing Manor, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Good morning O Wise Ones! I am hoping someone will have better luck than I , identifying the maker of this jardiniere. I bought this on on eBay years ago and it arrived smashed up. I would love to replace it with a sound one but I have never seen another like it. I have had various keyword searches in all the selling and auction forums I can think of for YEARS, and nada. But I have certainly seen a lot of Asian jardinieres in the meantime! :bored: It measures 6.5" high, 8.5" across the mouth and 5.25" across the slightly footed base. The NO.3 is an under-glaze impressed stamp. Thank you!!!
    jardiniere1.jpg jardiniere2.jpg jardiniere3.jpg jardiniere4.jpg

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Fantastic job of repairing it!

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect that's English. Did you try majolica as a term?

4. Darkwing Manor

"Ownedbybear, Did you try majolica as a term?

Not specifically, since it's monochrome and doesn't appear to have a white under-glaze. That term is used pretty loosely across the forums, so it confuses me. I have always associated it with drippy, syrupy poly-chrome glazes, usually with a lot of naturalistic motifs.. at least the English 19th century items.. such as... English majolica.jpg

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Barn Owl wrote Fantastic job of repairing it!

Thank you Barn Owl! I am fortunate to have a very handy husband. He can fix almost everything he breaks!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Majolica is the term to use.
    Obviously not yours, but right track. May have been on a large plinth. I can look later, but haven’t found it yet. 81D7FACB-F161-48B9-AEBD-59AF45BF3007.jpeg

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Majolica basically refers to it being a tin glaze, so it can be reasonably used for monochrome. The number means the size in a range: I've seen it on British stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a US usage as well.

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fid,
    Thanks to your post I have found one of my photos of my cache pot credited to someone else.:mad: Well at least they good taste.:rolleyes:
    greg

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

did you read the definition of barbotine ?

13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Yes, it referred to applied slip decoration, which I don't see here.

14. Darkwing Manor

Wow! A whole new world of ceramics! Some wild and beautiful pieces! Thank you for the new search term to explore Fid. I do agree with janetpjohn, mine is molded, and not a hand-wrought work of art... I wish!

judy likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you. may it give you new ideas and may you find a pretty replacement for your old one soon. frankly, I don't believe you'll find an exact copy of your cache pot. and the old French made good stuff; so colourful one might think they had too much absinth.;)

judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Fid, I assume this was mass-produced from a mold someone went to a good deal of trouble to make, so I am very surprised that another one hasn't turned up somewhere in my years of on-line searching. Especially HERE, as you all are absolute savants and Sherlocks when it comes to finding things!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted