Featured Help, please! What the heck is this thing?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LovesVintage, Dec 12, 2020.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be both the black and orange are cold paint. I may have been reading it incorrectly. The most important bit is figure it's cold paint and treat accordingly.

A long time ago someone asked about a piece that was cold painted. it was dirty so they went washed it - no more cold paint.

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Would make a great Halloween decoration... I am trying to do time travel to move us all months ahead and covid free.

regarding cold paint, I was at a yard sale on a hot summer day and found some adorable MIJ cold painted figurines. I picked them up to look and the paint came off and onto my fingers.
    If I have anything with cold paint, I use a dry Q tip to get rid of shmutz but ever so gently.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Aren't eyes like those applique, and called googly eyes?

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My mother used to sing that song about Barney Google.

Aquitaine, judy and i need help like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, been there, done that, enough said:)

8. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

No, the pupils are fixed.

judy likes this.
  9. LovesVintage

Thank you all for this convo - I've learned a lot. I didn't even know cold paint was a thing. :nailbiting: I did wipe it off with a barely damp paper towel (EEEEEEEK) but that was pre-photos so I guess I didn't do too much damage, but dang. I need to be more careful.

The eyes look very similar to the ones on Erphila cat that cxgirl posted above. They definitely aren't googly eyes, which are plastic and have pupils that shoot around wildly when moved. Here's another pic of the eyes.

IMG_3081.jpg

Also, it's impossible to see in photos and very hard to see in person, but the cat has a big old smile on his face. Also a bow tie with the bow on the side of his neck.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. LovesVintage

Here's another one, but made in Japan. Any thoughts on this one's age?

IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg

hamptonauction and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's my understanding that googly eyes are the ones that rattle around, so it doesn't apply to yours.

LovesVintage likes this.
  12. LovesVintage

Oh, sorry - I thought you thought my eyes were googly. Hahaha!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf New Member

Cigarette holder. Back in the days of everyone being a smoker it was not uncommon to put out cigarettes this way for guests after a dinner party, etc...

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted