Help, please. Which stopper belongs to which decanter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Jun 17, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_7917.jpg
    HI, I bought these and when they were laid down to travel we pulled the stoppers out and did not remember which went to which! Some obviously did not go with each other because of their fit and this was the best I could come up with. From left to right I am just numbering them one through 5 for the purpose of helping me. The two rounds in the back would be 2 and 4 They all appear to be decent quality and crystal but I don't want to screw up and send the wrong stopper.
    IMG_7866.jpg
    I thought these two or number 1 and 2 might be right
    IMG_7860.jpg
    Number 4 below
    IMG_7882.jpg

Thank you for any help

TallCakes and kyratango like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look more right the way you have them than any other pairings I can imagine. :happy:

kyratango and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Generally these stoppers develop a wear pattern over the years both on the stopper and inside the neck. These can usually be matched together. Personally I think No.5 sits up too high to be correct. Might be worth seeing what else No.5 fits.
    Cheers
    Stephen

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It's a common problem when you buy old decanters to have the original stopper be missing and then replaced along the years. Or the auction company mixing up the stoppers is another problem. So they could have been the Not Original stopper when you got them.

But I agree with the earlier poster who said that the stopper in the ruby stained decanter is too high. Swap it with decanter #4 and see if that is better (although of all the stoppers, that one, now in #5, looks the youngest and quite possibly not right for any of the decanters).

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stopper 4 on decanter 5 is certainly more in style. I too am not sure stopper 5 would go with any of the decanters.

Sandra and Bronwen like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Decanter 1, is a greyish Glass. The round diamond shaped stopper, back right looks correct color-wise.

gauntlettgems, Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  7. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I agree, the color and proportions of #1 and #4 seem a better match, IF they fit.
    I have a drawer full of lonely stoppers looking for a mate, some are perfume, cruet and liquor decanter stoppers. When I do find a fit, it's usually the wrong style or color. Aarghh!

8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

did you look closely for etched numbers on stopper and bottle. The #2 Pillared/ribbed design looks to go with the stopper showing on #1.

i need help likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Stopper #4 is very generic. My mother had a pressed glass bowl full of orphaned stoppers, most of them faceted like that. She just liked the sparkle. (I do too & kept some of them, along with all the prisms she had acquired.) My immediate thought was that #4 is a replacement. Think AJ is right, not original to any of them, but does echo the shape of the bottle.

Agree with everyone, but if the issue is how were they paired before being separated for packing, suspect this is about right. Maybe try swapping #s 1 & 3? #1 looks top heavy.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The late 19th C globe decanter is correctly paired with a round stopper which looks spot on for the period. The one you have as 3 actually looks right for the ruby flashed Bohemian. Number 2 looks OK. I don't think any of them look right for the three ringed ones. They ought to have mallet stoppers. Number one, by the way is Georgian.

11. gauntlettgems

Ok. I’ll post pics when done

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2018-6-17_12-23-9.png

The stoppers may not be original to begin with.

Looking at the color of the glass. #1 is a mismatch. If that stopper fits #2 it replicates the shape of the bottle and is a better color match.

#1 and #3 are your oldest bottles 1860ish. May have had corks to begin with - I believe they are whiskey bottles.
    If the stopper you have on #4 fits number one, the glass color is a better match.

Does the stopper in #2 fit #4.
    #5 probably had a ruby stopper, but if #3 fits it might look ok.

gauntlettgems and Sandra like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1 is the oldest from the glass colour and the form, early 19th. Not whisky bottles - or at least, not here, they're classic three ring decanters.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. gauntlettgems

IMG_7889.jpg IMG_7893.jpg IMG_7908.jpg
    I was wondering two things on these The amber one looks like the top was repaired with resin or something other than glass. My thought is they did it to get rid of the sharp edge so they could use the item. What do you think?
    Does the stopper on the green one match it or any of the others? lol I'm going to do the switcharoo now but I agree with the grey color for sure, I can see it now.

15. gauntlettgems

4 does fit on one and looks better
    1 does not fit on two meaning the bottom is too big to go in
    I'm thinking 5 does not sit down far enough inside and is not a good fit

16. gauntlettgems

I think the only stopper that fits right is the faceted ball on number 1 I am retaking pics and selling the stoppers separately They all seem to be mismatched
    @Ownedbybear
    @clutteredcloset49
    @TallCakes

This is whacka-doodle for sure lol

Draft saved Draft deleted