Featured Help please with mark on Wall Hanging Plates

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jun 1, 2023.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

IMG_9090.jpeg IMG_9104.jpeg IMG_9089.jpeg IMG_9103.jpeg IMG_9091.jpeg IMG_9077.jpeg IMG_9078.jpeg

Using various searches I’ve found three or four examples of one or both of this pair of large 33cm diameter plates.

They are moulded in relief and very finely hand painted. Three of the examples I’ve found have been listed by sellers as Villeroy & Boch but I’ve found no evidence of them being produced by V&B

The plates are clearly marked with an impressed HB over an E on its back together with the mould or pattern numbers. Styling of letters points to a late 19th century date.There is also an artist’s letter and number .

The subjects Lucretia Borgia and Giovanni Borgia might indicate Italy although the seller said that he thought his Grandfather bought them in Spain .

The mark is not in Röntgen, Kovels or any other of my marks books.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. John Brassey

Yes. Interesting that they have different impressed letters although all have the E on the side.could be that the HB is just a factory code.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. John Brassey

Yes I’ve seen that one.

6. John Brassey

Found this. Looks like the same maker. German legend . Sadly a dead end so far. IMG_9109.png

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  7. John Brassey

Another similar Again no details IMG_9112.png

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I cant find any connection between this mark and Villeroy and Boch. The only loose connection I csn think of is it is HR for Heinrich, but I dont think so. I think maybe someone has incorrectly made the connection then others have followed suit with their listing without taking the time to verify their sources. There is an example of an incised VB mark in the link below. I can see how it might have been mistaken but it is clearly different.

https://www.mctears.co.uk/auction/l...&au=1122&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=96&pn=1&g=1

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. John Brassey

Yes I totally agree that someone has suggested v&b and others have simply followed suit. I think they are German but I don’t think I will find who made them.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

You never know you might just have that Eureka moment. There is some wealth of knowledge on here too and someone may just recognise that mark. Good luck!

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I’d have expected a European seven.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found a few too and actually what strikes me is that while the impressed marks seem to vary, the hand painted H (or is it an A?) seems to be under the number of each. Doesn't it?

13. John Brassey

Yes. I think H

14. John Brassey

I find that German potters did not always use continental sevens. Just checked out a lot of Schiller pieces and they have this seven.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Continental: Continentals used, and still use, both sevens.
    In print or imprint a seven like these is often used.

Draft saved Draft deleted