Help please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LisaJ, Apr 27, 2020.

1. LisaJ

LisaJ New Member

Hi
    I have 3 plates and a bowl in my cabinet. My husbands family is from Ipswich and my mother in laws maiden name in Grimwade so I'm guessing that's how it came to be in my house! I have searched the internet all over and can't seem to find this design anywhere, can anyone please help me to identify it.
    Many thanks IMG_27Apr2020155819.jpg IMG_27Apr2020160012.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Wait for others who may know. Very pretty.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. LisaJ

LisaJ New Member

yes, it does have the same back ground and the bird too. The number is clear on the large bowl 8088 but not the plates. Thank you

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. LisaJ

LisaJ New Member

Oh wow, yes, it's the same, only the plates are a different shape. Thank you. This has made me look into the family tree and it turns out Leonard Grimwade is my husbands Grandads, grandads brother! What a mouthful!

kentworld, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Lisa, your plate is GORGEOUS!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma
    Does that make Leonard an uncle 5 times removed?

Forgot to say I like your red plate the best.
    Welcome to the board.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

That mark on the back dates to 1929 and later
    Mikey

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

kentworld likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure about the "removed" part but your husband's grandfather's grandfather is his 2nd great grandfather, so the 2X great grandfather's brother should be your husband's 3rd great uncle (I think.) I'll have to check, but since this is my first post from my brand new computer (not my idea of the best way spend a weekend) I will have to confirm that.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, I think the information here is pretty spot on. I dunno if there is a pattern name. Maybe replacements.com has it on their site. I’ve seen versions of that bird called Chelsea bird and Ho Ho bird. It is a design that would be popular in the 1920s/30s — sort of fantastical with a vaguely Asian vibe and highly coloured. Pattern name or no, it is an interesting and pretty plate!

13. Bakersgma

I just checked the familial relationship against my own tree. My grandfather's, grandfather's brother is my 3rd great uncle.

14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma So 4 times removed?
    Me, dad, granddad, great granddad, great great granddad, brother(uncle)

Sorry, my aunt used to do genealogy and that is how she referred to people. How many rungs up the ladder from yourself.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  15. Bakersgma

No times "removed" at all, in this case. If you were calculating a relationship between you and some descendant of that uncle (and not just to him) then removed might come up after a few generations.

16. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are plenty of cousins charts online to help with this. In the south, where I live now, most people don't seem to have any concept of "removed", so people they have referred to all their lives as second cousins turn out to be first cousins, once removed. I gave up printing charts to educate everybody!

Bakersgma and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted