Help removing shaft from handle of book press (shaft key?)

Discussion in 'Tools' started by zmbras, Feb 10, 2018.

1. zmbras

zmbras New Member

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping to dip into your knowledge base. I'm working to restore an antique book press and I'm having trouble removing the handle from the threaded shaft. On most book presses I've seen, the top not unscrews and then the handle lifts off, but I SWEAR that the "nut" on this handle is actually cast with the handle, as the casting seam runs straight through the handle, nut, and top round decorative piece (picture attached). I've tried to find other ways that the handle can be released, but the only thing I've found is a small shaft key on the underside, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to release. It wiggles (after soaking in some penetrating oil for a day), but I'm not sure what the trick is for releasing it, any suggestions, or is it even possible? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

try heating the shaft key to release it..

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Try PB Blaster then heat from a copper pipe solder torch. For the key removal try "easy outs"

upload_2018-2-10_18-57-38.png

upload_2018-2-10_18-56-21.png

judy likes this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Rayo,

An Easy Out will not work in this application.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It appears to have a locking thread insert.
    That small piece of metal near the thread either needs pushing down before turning the bar or pulling out.
    It may be spring loaded.

6. zmbras

zmbras New Member

Thank you all for the tips, and thanks Davey—my assumption before posting was something along the lines of what you suggested. I didn't think it could be a simple matter of pulling it out, b/c it was on the underside of the handle (so it could have fallen out with enough usage), but I haven't been able to figure out how to "disengage" it. I tried pressing it in, as suggested, but there's no movement at all. I wondered if it "swings" out into the notch on the handle (the notch on the handle appears to be more triangular shaped than rectangular), but I haven't been able to get that kind of movement out of it either. I'll keep trying, but any further insights are appreciated!

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Draft saved Draft deleted