Featured HELP! THRIFT STORE HOLDING 4 ME FOR 2 HOURS - LARGE, OLD, METAL(?) FOO DOGS WORTH $1,500?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 29, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw these at a local thrift store & fell in love with them! But when I asked the price the manager said $1,500! I offered $750 & he told me to come back tomorrow & if they were still there then maybe...
    They are a matching pair (the woman foo dog has her pup between her feet, and their tails are beautiful - I've never seen anything like it.
    Can anyone tell me how old these are & most importantly what they're worth?
    They are made of metal or brass? And heavy as all get out - but when I turned one over to look at bottom some gravel? came out a small hole in a foot, so maybe that's why they are so heavy?
    Also on the bottom of a foot you can see that the dogs are hollow with a cement? pad put in the space (last photo).
    So my friends - do I go back & buy now for $1,500, wait till tomorrow & hope to get them for $750, or just look at them wistfully and let them go?

As always I appreciate your help!

AA ART STATUE FOO DOGS 1AA.jpg AA ART STATUE FOO DOGS 2AA.jpg AA ART STATUE FOO DOGS 3AA.jpg AA ART STATUE FOO DOGS 4AA.jpg AA ART STATUE FOO DOGS 4AAA.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That patina looks awfully considered. I'd be wary: I'm no expert on old Oriental fo dogs, but these look decorator items. My gut feel is no more than a couple of hundred. Others may think otherwise.

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Manager called and said he had $500 offer & if I wanted for original 700 he'd hold them for the hour I have left?

5. journeymagazine

Are they bronze or brass? I'm heading back - but will check here again before paying! Help please! :)

6. Ownedbybear

I'd let him take the offer.

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Possibly neither. Test with a magnet. If non-magnetic, scratch the bottom of a paw and look for yellow, silver, or a copper color. Silver is spelter.

I have no idea about authenticity. When I have doubts, I don't buy at that kind of price.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thrift shop at those prices?? No way!! I wouldn't even bother at those prices too much of a gamble

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay more than decorator prices for them, if you don't know what they really are. I know jack about Chinese bronzes, but that's an awful lot of money for a gamble.

Ghopper1924, *crs*, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Agreed! I reckon a decorator price is a couple of hundred at most.

11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Agree with above. Different reason. Dogs are rather cute. Most Foos not so much. NO concrete knowledge; just gut instinct.

12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

They're cool, but too $£€¥¢! The thrift should know for sure before offering them for $1500

Should have no rust, right? Looks like rust rising into patina not aged in any particular pattern...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t like a “You Must Act, Now” situation, and would not get them for that price.

14. scoutshouse

I think maybe Journey pulled the trigger, and they're punting.

If they really thought they were worth $1500... Probably just a trolling price.

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 7 others like this.
  15. scoutshouse

16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I recently visited Nepal where they had monumental bronzes and these do not look right at all. I would be willing to pay a hefty price but not for these.

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 6 others like this.
  17. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

My approach: where did they come from and how did they get to a thrift store? Chances are they were at the entrance (gravel) of a Chinese restaurant, that either went out of business or was renovated. They got rid of em. So would you put invaluable pieces of art at your entrance? Probably not, so decorative. All speculation of course... nice patina, or as one of my in laws once called it, "pate'"... green pate'... wouldn't touch that.

18. journeymagazine

I offered 500 and passed at 700.
    They were donated to thrift store - it's one that supports veterans and does get a lot of high end stuff - but since no one thought it a good deal I passed (with a heavy sigh and long look goodbye!)

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Check tomorrow, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still there. :)

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  20. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

upload_2019-4-29_13-5-30.png ceramic version found online, very close approximation of the overall and face design, so to me that speaks 'copy of something else' maybe original.

and 'good deal' is relative. if the garden variety is going for 1K, and you need a pair, then ...

Draft saved Draft deleted