Featured Help to Decipher Impressed Marks on Japanese Pottery Figure

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LoveTheHunt!, Jun 8, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Here is another interesting consignment item. As usual, though I like Asian art, I am sadly lacking in knowledge thereof...
    This 11-1/2" tall pottery figure of an old man holding a scroll in one hand weighs 5 lbs. and is glazed with white and rust red (orange), except exposed body parts (head and hands) being unglazed. The face is very nicely done! (He could use some cleaning, but I'll hold off on that, for now, at least.)
    The unglazed bottom has 2 small impressed characters.
    I'll upload some large pix, would appreciate any pointers at as regarding to age, origin, style, potential value, etc. THANX AGAIN to you who are always so willing to share your expertise!
    DSC05490.JPG
    DSC05495.JPG
    DSC05491.JPG
    DSC05494.JPG

Figtree3, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It would help if you uploaded the picture of the characters. ;)

judy likes this.
  3. LoveTheHunt!

Yes - I hit the wrong button while adding pictures! It's all set, now...

kyratango, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Interesting figure, although some of the painting of the glaze is rather sloppy. See the front of the hat and how the glaze from the hat is also on his forehead. I also think he's more likely to be Chinese than Japanese from the clothing and facial structure.

Maybe @Mat will have thoughts.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  5. LoveTheHunt!

I was leaning towards Chinese, too; Confucius came to mind - but the owner thinks Japanese.

kyratango and judy like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

patd8643, Figtree3, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. LoveTheHunt!

Wow - it almost looks like they are made from the same mold! Maybe they are, but I can't clearly see some details that look different from the angle of their camera. I'll have to check mine from that angle...

judy, kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Google Kutani old man figurine.

i need help, patd8643, judy and 5 others like this.
  9. Bakersgma

There are a bunch of differences in the decorating - not just the colors and quality. Plus the way the bottoms compare - the Andrea one seems to have a smoother surface and an impressed oval mark that Lovethehunt's does not have.

10. LoveTheHunt!

Great tip; I did so, and found several similar pieces (usually blue, though), including at least one with the same bottom texture and marks ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-034-VIN...yxJ61G2v08dEj3JuhBTPBGuhHsU%3D&orig_cvip=true )!
    It also led me to discover another key word, "Jurojin", with which I found several current listings that are similar - also including that same figure, still available at a lower price.
    As much as I actually enjoy internet research, and do fairly well a lot of the time, I still am amazed when you guys are able to ferret out examples I should have been able to find - if only I used the right combination of keywords!
    THANX AGAIN to all who played!

i need help, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like this very much... even with the slightly sloppy paint!

LoveTheHunt! and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted