Featured Help to ID Artist's MONOGRAM Signature... WHM? WMH??

Discussion in 'Art' started by LoveTheHunt!, Apr 27, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    Once again I bring you a mystery. This case involves an old oil on canvas painting. The subject is a rural landscape with a plantation style home showing between the trees.
    The only "signature" appears to be a 3-letter monogram: W(?) over H over M.
    I've done Google image searches, and perused some art and signature sites, with little success. The closest candidate I've found was William Michael Harnett - but in the examples I've seen, he writes out the last name, HARNETT, with a more prominent H. Subject matter is also wrong, as all I see are Still Life paintings.
    I'm hoping someone here might recognize this monogram - or just be a better researcher than I am!
    The first image I offer shows the mark with exaggerated contrast, followed by more natural images of the artwork. (Please excuse the poor photos - these were taken with my phone outside, I don't currently have the artwork with me.)
    Oil_Painting-Artist_Monogram-WHM.jpg Oil_Painting-Artist_Monogram-WHM-framed.jpg Oil_Painting-Artist_Monogram-WHM-mono.jpg Oil_Painting-Artist_Monogram-WHM-framed-bk.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to feel like a parrot! So here goes... Is that a label on the back of the frame? If so, what does it say? Can you/would you post a close-up?

Debora

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks competently done. Definitely not the 19th C American artist William Harnett. My guess is the last name will start with “M”.

There now. Doesn’t that help?

Figtree3, scoutshouse, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe a faint date underneath initials?

Jivvy, scoutshouse, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Reminds me of those rebus-like ranch name signs. If it made any sense, I'd propose Ys bar M, Wise bar 'em.

scoutshouse, judy, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
  6. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

It is part of a Philadelphia framer's label, name torn...
    Oil_Painting-Artist_Monogram-WHM-label.jpg

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Lovely painting.

With a Philly frame shop, you might want to try searching for a Pennsylvania artist with different combinations of those letters.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LoveTheHunt!, scoutshouse and Debora like this.
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

First, I'm guessing this painting was painted in the 1920s-30s and if that's far off, everything else I say should be ignored.

Second, I know full well that the following info is likely to be as much help as if I said nothing, but I'm forging ahead anyway.

In the 1930s census, there's a William H. McAllister living in Philadelphia and working as an artist ("on his own account").

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  12. Jivvy

William Howard McAllister. Who went by "W Howard" or just "Howard"...

In 1920, the Thouron Prize (awarded by the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts) "for the work showing the most poetic, abstract or idealistic point of view, decided by the instructor of the class, to Howard McAllister."

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That fits with his monogram. A very good lead.

Debora

14. Jivvy

These could be interesting pieces for someone to find...

temp01.jpg

15. Jivvy

LoveTheHunt!, Houseful, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  16. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

@Jivvy is on it! But I'll post this, anyway - I was hoping to find some images

Screenshot_20190428-081452_1556464921859.jpg

Penn’s Woods
    – by Howard McAllister and Arthur Meltzer. At a width of ninety feet, Penn’s Woods covered the entire end of the north wing...

LoveTheHunt!, Pat P and i need help like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

LoveTheHunt!, Houseful, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good catch! There is definitely something there. To me it looks like '33 but I could be wrong.

LoveTheHunt!, Pat P and i need help like this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be '33 to me too and that would be about right for work.

Debora

20. Jivvy

I totally missed this. It looks like '23 to me.... but I'm also totally making up the first digit because I can't really see anything there. :hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted