Help to ID this Glass oil lamp base.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Any help appreciated. Glass is in excellent condition but as you can see the collar is cracked. Hope someone can ID it for me
    It stands 8" to top of collar. very heavy thick crystal clear glass.

Mikey
    atree 19603.jpg
    atree 19605.jpg
    atree 19599.jpg
    atree 19608.jpg
    atree 19607.jpg

2. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

Quarter Block is the pattern, circa 1890. Not a rare lamp, but a nice pattern. To bad about the collar

3. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you very much.

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Duncan & Miller #55, AKA: Quartered Block, c1903

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mikey,
    I would soak the collar off, it's usually held on with plaster of paris and replace it.
    greg

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you tallcakes.
    Hi Greg, I have another lamp with the same collar but the lamp is cracked so I am soaking both of them now in hopes of using the collar of the broken one
    Mikey

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You might want to add to a description of this Duncan "Quartered Block" that it is in Thuro's Oil Lamps, The Kerosene Era in North America, pp. 298-299, in the 1880-1900 section. 4 sizes of this pattern are pictured. The author says it was made in at least 3 more sizes.

It is certainly too bad about the collar. The collar is called a "shrunk-on" collar. "These were described in an advertisement by Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton Co. of Findlay, Ohio, as 'Patent, Improved, Shrunk-on Collars' and claimed 'No Cement, No Leaky Lamps, No Weak Lamps, No Complaints.' In Findlay Pattern Glass by Don Smith, this collar is said to have been patented by Philip Ebling of the Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton Company .... and was first used in May 1894."

--- Susan

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

BTW, I have this pattern lamp in the footed hand lamp size. It also has an Ebling "shrunk-on" collar.

--- Susan

9. gregsglass

Hi,
    Sorry Mikey, I have always soaked collars off just to replace the plaster to make it look whiter. I was not aware of these new fangled collars. Perhaps that is why it cracked like that. Leave it to Susan, I swear there isn't anything thing that she does not know or where to go for the answer. She is one of my idols.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

Well they both came right off after soaking so all I have to do is get some plaster? and stick the other on on.

11. gregsglass

Hi Mikey,
    That is it, way to go. I always use the plaster since it is reversible. Some people use latex caulk which would be a bitch to remove. Besides it is easier to clean off the glass and your hands.:D
    greg

12. Ladybranch

> I was not aware of these new fangled collars. Perhaps that is why it cracked like that. <

Hi Mickey & Greg! Between you, me, and the fence post, I really don't know how these "shrunk-on" collars work. It seems they were pressed on, but I would think it still needed something to press into?? The interior of the Ebling collar of the one I have has a little white plaster showing. I believe this plaster was applied to make the interior look better. As to whether this style is more prone to crack than others, I doubt it. I have seem many oil lamps with cracked collars through the years. I well say, this is the first cracked Ebling collar I have seen; however, I have only seen a few Ebling collars. Here is a lamp website with pics and a little info about oil lamp collars. The Ebling collar is the 6th picture down. Oil lamps with Ebling collars and the Riverside clinch collars (5th collar down) are always a drawing for lamp collectors.

http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_info_collars.htm

>...there isn't anything thing that she does not know or where to go for the answer.<

I appreciate the compliment, but as the old "saw" goes, I may "know a little about a lot, but not a lot about anything." The trick is knowing "where to go for the answer." My parents very very rarely spelled a word for us or gave us an answer to a question that could be found in a dictionary, encyclopedia or any of the myriad of books in our library. They might tell us what book an answer could be found in, but that was it. Most time the conversation at the dinner table would be discussing what we had learned/studied that day. Even when Mother was in her late 80s, she didn't help me spell a word I has trying to include in an email that the spell-checker didn't recognize. :mad:

--- Susan

--- Susan

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Susan -- I would have appreciated your mother! My own mother was superb at reading aloud; words unfamiliar to me seldom had to be explained, because her intonation made the meaning clear. The dictionary in my house was a huge, two-volume set which got quite a lot of use. I would look up a word, and then just keep on reading...and reading...and reading.

Would that I had had a similar affinity for numbers...

gregsglass and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have my late Grandad's 3 volumn dictionary set. As a kid I was going to learn the entire set of words and definitions. I got as far as aardvark.:wacky:

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted