help to identify small Japanese plate and to remove residue

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewToAntiques36, Jun 6, 2021.

1. NewToAntiques36

NewToAntiques36 New Member

I have this small plate marked 'Japan' on the back. It is approximately 6 inches in diameter. I would like to ask for assistance to know the approximate age of this piece? Is it a vintage piece as there is some residue (maybe honey?) that I cannot remove on the back. Are there any tips to remove this residue without damaging the plate.

Thank you in advance for any help IMG_4140.jpg IMG_4141.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't help with the cleaning, but because it has Japan on it instead of Japanese characters or the word Nippon (Japan in Japanese.) it's from 1921 or later.

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hell @NewToAntiques36 & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy::happy:

I would start by running some hot water over the back of the plate. If it is honey that should dissolve it but if it doesn't I would then move on to some plain old dish soap & water. Let it soak for a little while to see if that helps at all. If that also fails then you move onto cleaning products such as Greased Lightning or Goo-B-Gone.

Tanya and Aquitaine like this.
  4. NewToAntiques36

NewToAntiques36 New Member

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your responses

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted