Help to identify this fellow

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Ebony Kate, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ebony Kate

Ebony Kate New Member

Hi, I purchased this from a yard sale around 10 years ago, I have always wondered where he may be from and the significance of the double head possible crocodile/alligator.
    I haven’t been able to find anything similar online, he could possibly be a mask as the back of the head is carved out and looks worn. It stands around 1.5 metres high, any ideas?

Attached Files:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Kate. I'll tag a member who will know your fellow, @2manybooks .:)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

My best guesses, in decreasing order of certainty, is that your mask is from West Africa, probably from the Ivory Coast, and perhaps by the Guro people. It may represent a Zamble, a creature that combines various animal and human characteristics. In this case, it combines a human face with antelope horns and a crocodile mouth.
    "Functionally, the Zamble mask is thought to protect against sorcery and to give the ability to see through those whose intentions are not as they appear."
    https://africanartssf.com/african-tribal-art/masks/zamble-mask-guro-tribe-ivory-coast/

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sounds very useful.

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted