Featured Help to identify - What is this?

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Drev82, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Hi!

We've hade this piece in the family for as long as I can remember, and I think it was given to my great grandfather Horace Shorter sometime after WW1. He lived in Chobham, Surrey as his life. Unfortunately no one in our family knows anything about it and anyone who could know is dead.

I'd be thrilled of you could give us some clue to what it is. We have opened it and inside are several ribbons with HMS and then different names.

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would say it is the equivalent to a shadow box with mementos. The central pieces looks like a miniature ships anchor with side railing.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does appear to be a collection of nautical items. In your first photo, the object on the bottom right is a bosun's (boatswain's) whistle, used to signal commands on ship. I presume you know that HMS stands for "Her (His) Majesty's Ship", and the following name is the ship's name. Was anyone in the family in the British Royal Navy?

If you can post the ship's names on the ribbons we may be able to find out more for you.

These folks might be able to date the whistle for you:
    https://maritime-antiques.co.uk/antique-bosuns-whistles-1

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a neat nautical collection !!!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. komokwa

for it's size , that brass anchor is a monster !!!!

:eek:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Hi everyone and thank you so much for all your comments. My great grandfather was indeed in the Royal Navy during WW1. Next time I visit my Mum (where the piece is) I'll see if can find some ship names :) Will also contact Maritime Antiques to see if they perhaps know more. Thank you again!

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  7. komokwa

u might have to investigate one piece at a time....... good luck !!!

8. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Found some more information online when searching for records, also had a look at some of the ribbons inside. The ribbons match the ships on his records, so all very interesting. Thanks again for your interest and comments.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Ship names on the ribbons are:
    HMS Triumph - Date from service record 1906
    HMS Edward VII - Date from service record 1911
    HMS London - Date from service record 1912
    HMS Ganges - Date from service record 1912

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and Bookahtoo like this.
  10. 2manybooks

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My first thought would be to look up records of the ships. For example, this may be the same HMS Triumph, launched in 1903: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Triumph_(1903)

All of the dates given on the ribbons were before WWI. You mentioned that the family has some of his records. Are they service records? If not, you could find out how to get copies of his service records. I'm afraid that I don't know very much about British naval records, but could try to find out if nobody more knowledgeable than I am comments.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Hi! I actually attached the records in a previous post, perhaps you can see the PDF-file?

Thank you for your interest!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, I didn't open it. Won't really be able to look today.

What is your question again? I thought you were asking what the items are in the first pictures. Was there some other question?

14. 2manybooks

I thought of you when the ribbons associated with various ships were mentioned - perhaps more on the ships' histories or where they went. But perhaps that is off topic.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Drev82

Drev82 New Member

Hi! Actually, at first I was just curious what the item was but now I feel I'm well on my way down a rabbit hole :) It would be interesting if anyone has ever seen a similar piece.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted