Help w/artist's partial visible signature on 1937 print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 9, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a thrift store last week; I know I've seen it before but the artist's name (and date) are partially obscured by the matting.
    Does anyone know who the artist is?
    With a 1937 date I think it's worth it, but I want to be sure before reframing since the matting looks a little warped - should I reframe it or just set it outside for someone to pick up? (it was cheap ($10) so if not valuable I have way too many framed pieces as it is!)
    Thank you!

ART PRINT 1937 1AA.JPG ART PRINT 1937 2AA.JPG ART PRINT 1937 3AA.JPG ART PRINT 1937 4AA.JPG ART PRINT 1937 8AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

M.C. Escher, still life & street.

judy, Figtree3, 2manybooks and 5 others like this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Most likely a reproduction (but great score if real). There could be some serious water damage under the mat. If so, not worth reframing (but,if real, worth restoring).

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The original is 19.2" x 19".

Debora

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like it had some major exposure to moisture. It's a wonderful image!

7. journeymagazine

Debora, how much paper is around the image in that measurement? Mine measures 18" x 18.25" of visible art - close, right??!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

It may actually be 18.2 - it's just under 18 and the 1/4 inch mark, but I'm not sure how to read tape measure when it gets to eighths or sixteenth - or .2 - but it's got to be close!
    I'm going to try to take it out of frame & will post pic of it in totality - you never know!
    Thanks for the name & the information anundverkaufen,
    2manybooks & Debora; it is appreciated!

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's an original woodcut. I think you'll find that yours is a poster.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.54.34 PM.png

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Odds are your probably right :) but I have to look now! I'll let you know.
    Thanks again!

11. journeymagazine

I took it out of the frame - it has been glued/mounted to a board. The board has some water damage, but it didn't reach the print - there is also a measurement 2 1/2 written in pencil on the back of the matting (you can see water damage to right of measurement on photo of matting in last photo)
    It also has his initials written in pencil on the board - just under the bottom right edge of the print where it is mounted to board, under the plate signature - did M.C. Escher ever sign anything with his initials?

I also measured it from edge to edge - it is 19" x 19.2"?(I think it's .2; it's the first line after the 19 - see photo of tape measure next to last photo) - odds are this is just a print or poster, but does anyone know of one that was made in the same size/measurements of the original woodblock print?

I don't see any "printed in china" or printed in france" or any printing company name - even if just a poster/print; is there any way to tell it's age, or if it has any value?

Thank you - again - for any additional information!

PSS - The ragged edge you see in first 3 photos is tape - when I tried to remove it, it tore the corner of the board (see photo 3), so I had to cut it along the board edge with scissors to make it fairly smooth so I can put it in another frame!

ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 5AA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 5CAA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 5CAAA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 6AA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 6AAA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 7AA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 9DAA.JPG ART PRINT ESCHER M C ABSTRACT 8AA.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

Debora, it looks like he signed with full name under yours; did he sign any with just his initials?

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's a copy of the print in the Boston Public Library. This link includes a photo that can be greatly enlarged so you can clearly see what is written under the corners. Most of the prints I'm seeing online are not signed and do not have these notes. An entry on the Canadian National Gallery site (no photo) says the print is on laid Japanese paper. At high magnification in this link you can see the texture of the paper. Does the paper on yours look the same?
    https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search/commonwealth:3r076t21b

This clip from the attachment posted earlier by Debora clearly shows image size and sheet size. Sheets can be trimmed, but the image size will remain constant.
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 1.54.34 PM.jpg

zimage_access_800.jpg

For better or ill it's necessary to see what's there, which may not be what we want to see.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

First link blown up pencil signed/writing under initials looks like ;
    Cigen Druk ' ?? While mine is pencil signed/written initials

But it may not matter - my image size is 19 1/8" x 19"

Draft saved Draft deleted