Help w/ID Vintage Coffee Mug w/Sexually Explicit Inappropriate Art

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jim Goodykoontz, May 21, 2024.

1. Jim Goodykoontz

Jim Goodykoontz Active Member

hi everyone. i hope i'm not breaking any rules by posting this on this forum. i found this today and thought it might be worth a few bucks. i'm hoping someone out there can help me with identifying the artist. i realize this is a longshot but maybe someone will recognize the style. it's completely handpainted and measures a little over 3 inches in height. the mug looks like old diner ware.
    mug_art.jpg
    mug_name.jpg
    mug_base.jpg

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't get the joke..... but ribald collectors abound..;)

3. Jim Goodykoontz

yeah, it's definitely dumb. but, it's extremely off-color and, i think, over-the-top. let me say, too, it was a slow day.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

The more famous George Jones:

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

A cringe worthy gag, no pun intended.

I always want to understand "why," when I see a social image telling a story, or joke. What inspired a choice of subject? Was something going on during its time of creation? I speculated a 1930s Japanese and Mexican relationship situation. A quick search (nothing in depth) turned up this. Maybe this was the region of its audience?

From ... https://www.ucpress.edu/blog/61311/...elations-and-nurturing-empathy-toward-others/

"In 1930, ethnic Japanese and Mexicans composed 9 percent of the total population and 78 percent of the non-white population in Los Angeles County. In other words, they made up the majority of non-white Los Angeles before World War II. Japanese merchants and doctors not only catered to Mexican residents but also supported the publication of La Opinión as advertisers since the paper’s founding in 1926. "

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

my current dentist wouldn't go lower than my gum, let alone pulling my c**k out

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

... I admit it, I had to look ... :rolleyes::hilarious:

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Gambling,Drinking & Smoking,Brothel,Erotica-Vintage naughtiness always goes quick,or as an old Dealer bud of mine used to say-'The Devil always bats last..' or something like that ?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Jim Goodykoontz

thank you for this input. i hadn't thought of this angle, or reference point in considering this piece. i had thought the dentist might be Japanese. i'm still not certain the unfortunate patient is Mexican, but considering this mug more as an artifact of its time(which i too thought might be the 1930s) does help to contextualize it.

10. Jim Goodykoontz

i kinda' figured this would get eyes on it. i feel a little bad, because it really isn't that funny.

11. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad! Not everyone has the same sense of humor. I could show this to my husband and soda would shoot out his nose.....me....not so much :D

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Cringe worthy indeed. What part of the world did you find that in? I think 1930s/1940s likely as seated character appears to be wearing a zoot suit. And meant to be both racist and titilating. If I had to guess... A souvenir from Tijuana.

Debora

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

my Cuban great aunt had a little monk doll that when you pushed down on his head,his 'business' would pop up out of his robe. As kids we found it hysterical. She was a bawdy old gal anyway,and quite the character.

NanaB and Roaring20s like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I have one of these floating around......haven't seen it in years though...:wideyed:

NanaB, Potteryplease and Roaring20s like this.
  15. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Komo, my husband has the matches. I buried them in his old school report cards (we once had young kids at home). And a statue that is along the same line, buried in the same box with the report cards.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted