Featured HELP w/LARGE, OLD(?), SILVER(?) BOX COVERED WITH CHERUBS/ANGELS & STAMPED FRANCE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 1, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

A friend showed me this & I liked it right away - so much so that I offered $25 - he countered with $100 and we finally settled on $60.
    One of the reasons I bought it was because I liked the cherubs/angels all over it + it had FRANCE stamped on the bottom 2x in very small letters. BUT, there is a 2nd word after one France that looks to be 4-5 letters and the last one looks like the letter L.
    BUT! (again!) When I got it home and looked it over closer I found a set of numbers etched into a edge as small as the France marks - 35593 (but they have w/some space between them - 3 55 93
    What do the numbers mean?
    Any idea what the 2nd worn/name is?
    How old is this?
    Any idea who made it?
    PS - It measures 9"W x 5.5"D x 2"H (2.5" w/feet)
    As always I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 2AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 6AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 6AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 9A__A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 9BAAA.jpg

kyratango, Rastella, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That is really nice.
    You do know the sides should have been lined in wood, and you can see where it was divided into three sections.

I think the dotted numbers were added after the fact as some sort of id.
    I think older numbers would have been stamped in not etched in with a tool.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Makes sense. What do you think it was used for? Any idea of age?
    Did I pay too much?!! :)

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It's hard to say whether you paid too much or little enough to have a big payday on sale, because we don't even know what it's made of. So far I haven't seen anything in your pictures that screams silver or even whispers silver plate. It's very pretty so I know why you bought it. But is there anyway to see the other markings you mentioned.

Christmasjoy, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

You know, I'm of the mind that if I like something and I am willing to pay the price because I WANT it. Then it's not too much, because I'm keeping it.

If you bought it because you think you can resell it, then maybe yes unless you can find the sterling mark.

What is it, maybe cigar?
    Maybe candy?

6. clutteredcloset49

It's a really lovely box. I like the cherubs, busy little characters.

If it were mine, I would get some thin cardboard, cut it to fit the sides and bottom. Get either satin or thin velvet, cover the cardboard. Lay the bottom piece down, then lightly glue the side pieces in with water soluble glue like Elmer's.

It would make a lovely jewelry or trinket box.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cigar box sounds right......maybe jewelry.
    the electric pencil numbers are no more than a dealers markings..

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The little artists on top are great!

9. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I like the two cherubs who appear to be working together to "net" a butterfly. ;)

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is delightful and very beautifully made, I can see why you bought it.
    The whitish inside of the metal doesn't look like silver or silverplate to me. It looks like base metal. But best check.
    French silver would be marked. Have you checked for tiny marks in inconspicuous places? French marks are usually around the edges, but can be hidden somewhere and look part of the design. There are usually several marks, often in several places.

11. journeymagazine

My friend tested it today & it came back as silver - but he couldn't say if 800, 925, etc.. (it was with a stone & acid? he put on stone after rubbing edge of box that turned milky white). And it weighs just under 26 oz.
    Look at scene w/compass in center top - is this a masonic symbol?
    Thanks all!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY BOX CHERUBS ANGEL FRANCE 1AA__a.jpg

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Just be aware that the stone rub/acid method only tells you the surface. Plated items will test as silver because you don't get down far enough into the item being tested.

The compass by itself does not have any Masonic meaning. In this case it's with a painter's palette and brushes and the stone sculptor's hammer. These items are all being used by the cherubs in the scene below.

13. journeymagazine

OK - thank you!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The dimensions are similar to this Cartier box, which seller says was for cigarettes. The little wingless figures are called putti (one is a putto), although the ones on the top, demonstrating the arts, might also be seen as geniuses (or genii). The compass is the little architect's tool.

Even without wings, hard not to see the little guys chasing butterflies as allusions to Cupid & Psyche. My favorite bit is that they go off to the fields to hunt, only to be routed by some temperamental storks, which are bigger than they are.

For French decorative arts, I always think @kyratango who may know more about it.

15. clutteredcloset49

If you or your friend have no clue how to test, DON'T! ! !
    I have seen more beautiful items ruined by people who don't know what they are doing.

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very pretty box!
    For me, without having in hand, silver is a great possibility as metal seems thin (plated is thicker), plus I can't see no base metal showing under the worn decor.

Is it light or heavy? Silver should be lighter than plated brass or maillechort.

This one, sadly not showing the inside, is described as silver marked with the charançon (weevil) hallmark.
    The weevil mark is really tiny... Look well to see if it is on your box somewhere!
    http://www.debaecque.fr/html/fiche.jsp?id=7394773&np=&lng=fr&npp=150&ordre=&aff=&r=
    [​IMG]

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with kyra, if it were silverplate, the wear on the silver would show base metal. It doesn't, so I'd say silver.
    Check everything that looks like a tiny dent, nick, or imperfection, it could be a French mark. It will take some time, but it could be worth it.

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

19. journeymagazine

Thank you. Any idea what 4-5 letter word ending in L could be - it is after the France mark but too worn to read.
    A friend suggested taking wood bottom out to see if anything else is seen - good idea?
    Again, thank you all for the info; this board is AMAZING!

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  20. journeymagazine

I've gone to 2 pawn shops + 2 jewelry stores - neither had a laser to determine exact silver content; the lasers are too expensive was every answer.
    Best place to get it tested for exact silver? I am happy to pay to find out
    Thanks again

Draft saved Draft deleted