Featured Help w/reading this needlework sampler

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by bluumz, Nov 22, 2016.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of this sampler. Of course I see the alphabet in uppercase and lowercase, the numbers, and then it looks like "River Nile April 1889." Next it looks like "Nanna from Nina" with the words Nanna and Nina done in different lettering styles. The stitching itself appears to be done in knitting yarn, such as wool.
    The fabric has actually been nailed to a wooden board and then the whole thing framed under glass.
    I believe I remember reading somewhere that stitchers would sometimes date their piece with a reference to a current event but I cannot find anything particularly notable about the river Nile from April 1889.
    I would love to hear your thoughts!

sampler1.JPG
    sampler2.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe the family was posted to Egypt....

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

All I can think of is Churchill's book about the River War - in the Sudan, late 1880s'. There may have been a battle in April 1889???

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I hadn't thought of the possibility of a personal connection rather than a historical event. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll have to read up on that, thanks!

5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if 'NINA' was taking a cruise on the Nile and made this for 'NANNA' while passing the time while lying about the deck. It was a popular tourist cruise during that time.

Ladybranch likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I like that scenario :)

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see it.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I read too much Agatha Christie and it seems the upper classes during that era all did the Grand Tour of the Mediterranean and Egypt. Her husband was an archaeologist and she spent quite a bit of time there. The idea that this was done for Nanna by granddaughter Nina isn't so far off the mark.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

IMO- I see a reference to the Nile, as others have, a trip or cruise remembrance piece. April 1989. I believe I’m seeing beside the NANNA a ( from ) centered under. The fonts are different all over. So my guess is it’s initials N, J, M, A I say the first letter is an N because I’d you look at the stitching accents on the M they are close but different. The second is a guess based on the font. Ps. I think the from is hard to read because in spots it looks like less strands or possibly worn from working it?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nile or River Nile was a town in Texas.

"Named after the Egyptian River, Nile seems to have arrived alongside the tracks of the International and Great Northern Railroad in the late 1880s. A post office opened in 1890 and by 1892 fourteen people were receiving mail there. The economy was strong enough to support two cotton gins in the mid 1890s as well as a general store. By this time the population had risen to 35. By 1903 the one-teacher school taught forty-three students but by 1914 the population was back to 25 and the post office closed two years later. The school managed to stay open through 1946 when it was merged with the schools in Thorndale. Nile's history stops at this point. Today there is no sign of Nile on county maps; not even a cemetery."

The Milam County Historical Commission is available to answer questions about local history. Their web site is milamcountyhistoricalcomission.org. As yours is an early piece of county history, I'm sure they would be interested.

Debora

Darkwing Manor, Msalicia and Bronwen like this.
  11. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

The people posting on this site never fail to teach me at least something new or worth filing in my head. Thank you today. I was thinking when I looked at it that there are two figures with flowers atop and I thought they might look Egyptian but also the Rooster, rabbit, duck and chicken gave me a feeling of farm life. Although many farmed for sustainability it still might be a clue in research.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Goodness, an old thread of mine from 2016 has resurfaced, thanks for your interest!

IMHO, it still appears to be the name NINA. The needleworker used an Old English style of alphabet, perhaps working from memory rather that a chart/guide. It seems obvious that this was stitched by a not-very-accomplished needleworker. It is worked completely in a very basic crosstitch.

[​IMG]

That's an interesting angle! But from what I can find, the Texas town was named Nile, not River Nile, so why stitch "River Nile"?

Some better photos:

7D203CC1-5E66-470D-9259-751B26312DD0.jpeg 4EAB6612-F517-45F7-A03B-BD3218FAA0F7.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

In reviewing this piece again, I noticed these small holes around the perimeter of the entire thing. Apparently it was tacked onto something at one time.

2628F38A-917B-460F-B70D-2FC595E547F9.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

With an internet search, you will find contemporary accounts in which the town of Nile was referred to as River Nile.

Debora

Bronwen and Darkwing Manor like this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

.. and weren't cross-stitch patterns often published in periodical ladies' magazines? So the figures represented may not be personally significant. You may be over-thinking it.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I felt they were just generic symbols the child may have liked and therefore chose to incorporate.

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thank you, I didn’t come across that with just a couple minutes search. I will look further into it!

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Not sure that I mentioned the size: 18” x 13”.

I’ve now noticed that along the bottom I can see tiny nails where it is attached to the backboard.
    A few more photos since I have it out:

18FD9A99-FD36-4BB2-AA74-C5513FC2277B.jpeg 1D4BBA49-0FD9-4D86-86BB-8085D6B93097.jpeg 876F4F2B-EE7E-41B4-8744-92F1D40D5841.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe it's MIMA, short for JEMIMA.

bluumz and Msalicia like this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think the images are things she saw daily in rural Texas -- sunflowers, jack rabbits, etc.

Debora

Unknown2.jpg

Unknown.jpg

Darkwing Manor, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted