Help w/signatures on 2 portrait? character? paintings of 2 different old men

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 23, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a thrift store yesterday- along with a watercolor by listed artist Larry Greer - I really liked the one of the old man with the umbrella & the cigarette but when I asked the manager how much & he said $100 for all 3 I went ahead and bought the 3 (after looking up the sold prices on Larry Greer I knew it was worth the $100 by itself so if either of the other 2 are by a known artist than that would just be the icing on the cake).
    The Larry Greer one was easy - it had a label on the back with the artist & painting info! - but the 2 portraits (these are portraits, right?) have signatures that I cannot decipher!
    Does anyone recognize either artist's name? (I apologize for umbrella man's signature photos; it was so dark that these were the best I could get that I thought someone could read)
    Thank you for any help with these - as always!

ART PAINTING PORTRAIT MAN WITH UMBRELLA & SMOKING 1BAA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT MAN WITH UMBRELLA & SMOKING 2BAA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT MAN WITH UMBRELLA & SMOKING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT MAN WITH UMBRELLA & SMOKING 3AA_AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT MAN WITH UMBRELLA & SMOKING 8AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT ORIENTAL MAN SMOKING 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT ORIENTAL MAN SMOKING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT ORIENTAL MAN SMOKING 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT ORIENTAL MAN SMOKING 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING PORTRAIT ORIENTAL MAN SMOKING 4AAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Here is the Larry Greer that I also got with the 2 above - pretty nice for a watercolor, right?
    Thanks again for any info on the signatures!

ART PAINTING LARRY GREER WATERCOLOR 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING LARRY GREER WATERCOLOR 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING LARRY GREER WATERCOLOR 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING LARRY GREER WATERCOLOR 9AA.JPG ART PAINTING LARRY GREER WATERCOLOR 9AAA.JPG

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Wow your Larry Greer sure looks like Will Geer doesn't it!

LauraGarnet02 and antidiem like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Well, the Larry Greer is gorgeous, but you are much braver than I to pay that for it.
    It appears your middle portrait, perhaps done in Asia, is a factory type of painting, perhaps painted by only one person. Your first portrait appears to be a souvie from somewhere. Just my gut take on these 3.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thanks - I feel like I've seen Asian man painting before

antidiem and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted