Featured Help wanted with this Japanese piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Wodawolly, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Wodawolly

Wodawolly Member

G'day folks. I'd appreciate any information regarding this piece (age origin etc.)
    I recently bought it at an estate sale.
    It's in beautiful nick, no cracks chips or other faults I can find. Fantastic vibrant colours.. I just couldn't not buy it......
    I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese Imari piece, but I could be mistaken. And I'd love a translation of the makers mark on the back. Hopefully I've taken the picture of it, the right way up. It's about 11.5 inches (295mm) diameter Transformed_DSC06439.JPG Transformed_DSC06440.JPG

Marzena, scoutshouse and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not terribly old, sorry to say. But that's part of the reason why the condition is so good. Second half of the 20th century at best and likely to be in the last quarter. This form of script for writing Japanese does not appear before that.

For a translation I'll have to tag a member who can help. @Mat

komokwa, judy, Mat and 3 others like this.
  3. Wodawolly

Wodawolly Member

Thanks for your input Bakersgma. I agree it is fairly modern judging by its looks and condition. The translation on the reverse will tell a lot more.
    But knowing bugger all about Japanese Art, it peaks my curiosity. When I'm no longer curious about things I don't understand, that's when I'll be ready to be buried...

judy, kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Sorry, I cannot help with this mark, but I agre with Bakersgma's dating. It appears likely to be printed, not decorated by hand. It might be from the Mino area, where they produce a lot of modern tableware in Imari style.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    komokwa, judy, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mat!

judy likes this.
  6. Wodawolly

Wodawolly Member

Thanks Matt for taking the time to check this piece out and for your opinion on it.
    I appreciate it... Woda....

Draft saved Draft deleted