Featured Help with a brooch identification

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by AnaK, Apr 12, 2024.

1. AnaK

AnaK Member

Good morning. Wanted to ask for help please with the brooch identification. Imitation gold, not gold-plated. Mark is hard to read but seems to be S. WSS; All I could find was Sheffield W.S.Savage & Co that could match the marking; but did they make fashion jewelry?! The "stones" - celluloid?! bakelite? Or is this something much more recent?! Thank you very much for all your wisdom on this! IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7665.JPG IMG_7666.JPG IMG_7667.JPG IMG_7673.JPG IMG_7668.JPG

Attached Files:

KSW, johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might it read Swiss?

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Stones look like marcasite and carnelian or carnelian glass.

It's a quite nice looking piece. Is the front silvertone with the carnelian bordered in gold color? Or is the whole thing goldtone? Photo is hard to tell. Also noticed the pin has a bale or pendant loop. There is some work in this, would be great to ID that name.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    KSW and Dessert58 like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If it were me I would test it, it looks like it should be silver. Silver can take on a warm cast when it tarnishes or sometimes has a gold wash. However, I can't remember ever coming across a silver and marcasite piece with a gold wash, but I could be wrong.

Have it checked.

Give it a polish with foaming silver polish using a very soft toothbrush, you may be pleasantly surprised :)

AnaK and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Could it say Weiss?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd think costume; the stones look glued in. The mark is a blurry mess, but it's not Weiss.

7. AnaK

AnaK Member

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. The combination of "gold" and marcasite puzzled me the most! tested for 10K gold, which of course it is not. It "cleans" with a typical silver dark grey residue - i will try testing it for silver again. The mark is very hard to photograph, and to read as it is on an angled panel and the light reflects a lot from the gold. Your suggestion about gold wash made me think that maybe the first letter is G, so the it could be G W SS, "gold wash sterling silver" ?!

"Stones" - perhaps indeed carnelian glass! i will research further!

Any thoughts on the age or origin? art deco?
    many thanks again

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

From the back I would guess last 3rd of the 20th century when silver and marcasite jewelry had a resurgence.

AnaK and mirana like this.
  9. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

My guess is you have it upside down and it simply says STERLING.
    IMG_2977.jpeg

KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  10. AnaK

AnaK Member

Good morning!
    Thank you again for all the comments - much appreciated. tested it again - not silver. looks like as noted above the later part 20th century costume piece! many thanks!!!! a

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted