Featured Help with a cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Deux Coeurs, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

This piece is going up for auction soon and I'm considering it for my kitchen. The photos are not mine so I don't have one of the back. The measurements given are 78.5" H x 48" W. Also, 'most' of the glass is original and square nails are visible. Any guesses of age? Type of wood? Rough estimate of value (I'm in the midwest)? Thank you for any thoughts you may have. 20210729_001811.jpg 20210729_001747.jpg 20210729_001654.jpg 20210729_001628.jpg 20210729_001609.jpg 20210729_001546.jpg 20210729_001528.jpg 20210729_001505.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

This might be yellow pine - southern. I love the patina nice and warm. I would be thinking early 19th with square nail heads but will likely be corrected. The panels for the cupboard doors look hand chamfered. This country stepback cupboard has a nice narrow shape. I really like it!

4. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Buy nice handles for it.....Antique

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  5. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

Thrift Store Rescue #8 / Mid Century Furniture Restoration - YouTube

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a "Step-Back" cupboard, guesses 2nd half 19th century, country built, mixed woods, looks like tulip poplar for the cabinet with curly birch door panels.

LauraGarnet02, judy and Deux Coeurs like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It doesn't look like it was meant to have handles. It looks fine to me as it is, and you can open the doors without handles.

8. James Conrad

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  9. Deux Coeurs

I definitely wouldn't add handles

10. Deux Coeurs

Thank you! I assumed it was something other than pine because of the doors but I wasn't sure.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  11. Deux Coeurs

I like it too!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  12. Deux Coeurs

Thank you for the link, that's helpful. I didn't see an estimate. How can you tell on these whether it's early or later 19th century? What to look for?

13. Any Jewelry

Good! Don't mess with an original piece.;)

Aquitaine and Deux Coeurs like this.
  14. James Conrad

judy and komokwa like this.
  15. James Conrad

Well, the only way to know for sure is to examine the piece in person, photographs of old furniture are notorious for being unreliable on construction details which is how you determine the age.

judy, komokwa and Deux Coeurs like this.
  16. Deux Coeurs

Never

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

One way to tell age is the nailheads used although bench-made furniture can still be made that way. I have seen many pieces - mostly English - that have been made to look old with square nail heads only to see newer construction elsewhere. When I compare the cupboard doors on the base to the example James listed above, I see a newer cupboard versus yours. The bead board back versus yours which appears to be newer as well. Also the locks versus the primitive hardware yours has. Love this piece a lot!!!

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  18. Deux Coeurs

Thank you, James. I appreciate your help.

19. James Conrad

I would add it really doesn't matter much value-wise whether 1st or 2nd half 19th century, the rarity, form, condition, and maker matter much more.
    A Shaker step-back cupboard in good condition for example will sell for thousands no matter what era it was built.
    The point being I wouldn't get too hung up on the age of a piece as it isn't the main determining factor for value.

judy and Deux Coeurs like this.
  20. Deux Coeurs

Oh, I completely understand what you're saying. I was only asking because I'd like to have one that was made around the time my house was built (1830s) if possible. Also, I'm just interested in learning in general.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted