Help with a necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Getting a lot of interest in this. Any info? Mourning necklace? I’m sorry still learning . Era? Value?
    9D7F8DB2-B9CE-424F-8CDE-9A100F1FB4FB.jpeg 9FF1C410-94E2-4F6C-91F1-4EFB39CAD0EA.jpeg EDDD2C42-C4F1-4304-B6E6-DE364911C3D0.jpeg 5FD73414-D8CE-4B89-B5EE-2A9124821412.jpeg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is really pretty, but much too recent to be mourning jewellery. My guess is 1980s-90s. The inlay is abalone shell on white mother of pearl. Those are not associated with mourning.
    This doesn't look like a cheap pendant, but for the value you will have to check the usual sources.

Mourning jewellery is antique, and it either has black decoration or stones, dates of the deceased, engravings or inlay associated with death like urns, weeping willows, skulls, etc. Some hair decorated jewellery is also mourning jewellery.

3. Ashley Felton

What kind of clasp
    Is that? I try to date based on clasp sometimes

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Dating a pendant by the clasp on the chain only works if you are 100% sure they started out together. They often didn't.
    Could you show us a good photo the clasp, and full image please?

kyratango, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i believe that's abalone....on abalone.

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Ashley Felton

16F9C170-9615-40E2-A2AE-21874346D800.jpeg 8C6D7105-613B-4064-B11C-6B44FF747B33.jpeg

7. Ashley Felton

The chain and clasp actually look too cheap to go with the pendant. You’re right. I keep trying to find a way to open the pendant like a locker but nope. I guess I was just thinking there was some kind of a story behind this design. That and someone mentioned mourning necklace....eh well . How much could I charge for it if I decide to sell it

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is it silver?

9. Any Jewelry

Yes they do. I wouldn't expect it to be a locket, no need imo, the pendant is lovely as it is.
    I have no idea, I have only ever sold period and ethnic jewellery. As said before, for the value you will have to check the usual sources.

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. Ashley Felton

The usual sources? Like? Ebay?

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It's a cotter pin clasp..... http://www.ofrei.com/page286.html

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Whatever you find the sources best suited to your market. That could be ebay, etsy, or something more local. I am not going to spend my time searching for similar examples, when you can be trusted to do that for yourself.;)

judy likes this.
  13. Ashley Felton

Oh I wasn’t asking anyone to do the research. I’m a rookie and learning and was asking for recommendations .

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted