Featured Help with a silver spring spoon and 2 tongs

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi silver lovers.

I have 3 pieces a friend wants me to sell and I need some help with them. I will tell my meager research info for each, please feel free to correct or add to my info. Any help will be very much appreciated :)

#1 is a serving spoon, it measures 17-1/2" long, the bowl is 3-1/4" long x 2-1/4".

From the marks I think it was made by A. Stowell from Boston (1865-1094). I have searched including Replacements silverware forms and can't figure out what kind of serving spoon it is, does anyone have any ideas? I also searched the maker's patterns and can not find the pattern, any thoughts?

PegSrvngSpoonFt.jpg
    PegSrvngSpoonBk.jpg
    PegSrvngSpoonMrks.jpg

#2 are tongs, very simple, no design on the them except for a monogram on the top. The only mark is "ROB GRAY" on the inside. I found the mark is from 1813-1860 from Portsmouth NH.

Would there be a pattern name for something so plain?

They measure 5-3/4" long, the bowls of the tongs are 1" x 7/8". What are these made for?

RobGrayTongs.jpg
    RobGrayTongsSide.jpg
    RobGrayTongsMark.jpg

#3 are also tongs, they measure 4-3/8" long, the bowls are oval, 15/16" x 5/8".

These are British, I think the marks are Birmingham, Sterling David & Lionel Spiers (1875-1900). I can try for better photos of the marks if asked, it is tough tough though because they're on the inside of the top curve. But ask and I will try.

What are these tongs for, any ideas on a pattern name?

BrmghmSSTongs.jpg

BrmghmSSTongsTop.jpg

BrmghmSSTongsCU.jpg

BrmghmSSTongsMark.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Grandmother used her spoon like yours for serving cranberry jelly or mint jelly. Don't know if that was the intended use.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

17 and 1/2 inches? I hope you really meant 7 1/2. Jelly server does seem logical.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I've always liked Knowles, they made some nice patterns, as S_I_S suggests, it is their 'Apollo' pattern: https://www.925-1000.com/ax_knowles.html Also, like Bakersgma, am assuming it is only 7-1/2" long, you refer to it as a spoon and having a bowl, and the pics seem to show a definite cup - it's a proportionally large bowl, really, overall, a bit large for jelly/jam server/spoon (or blade if flat). If it's really a 'bowl' shape, then might be a small vegetable spoon (some larger casserole spoons were also made in a similar shape), or if the shape is flatter so that it could slice an aspic or serve a helping of a thickened sauce (like cranberry), then would more likely be a jelly knife. Should mention that the same or similar pieces of many types could be found in old catalogs and ads as intended for different purposes...

#2 sugar tongs are 'Fiddle' pattern American coin silver, the mark is actually 'ROBT GRAY' - here is some information on the maker: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~silversmiths/genealogy/makers/silversmiths/119382.htm

#3 sugar tongs are meant to resemble an 18th century Hanoverian Rat Tail spoon, with engraved decoration on the bow (I'd use 'Rat Tail' as keywords) - you have the correct maker, won't get an exact date without the letter, but they registered their marks in 1879 and since there's a duty mark, will date prior to 1890. https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-D.html

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. Marie Forjan

Thank you SIS, the old retailer mark has tripped me up more than once ;)

OMG, you are so right, thank you so much!

Cheryl, thank you so much for all the information. #1 must be a jelly spoon as there is slight cupping, not a flat blade. But I will search the pattern to try and match it.

I didn't even notice that tiny T on #2!

Thank you all, you are the best!!!!!!

Adding more info, I tried polishing the marks on #3 with a Sunshine cloth and can now see a partial lowercase Gothic "p" in a circular shape. Looking at 925-1000'S Birmingham marks that should be for 1889 :)

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My mom and grandmom both called #1 cranberry servers.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I dunno... Robert Gray was a name of the clown Pennywise in Stephen King's "It".

9. DragonflyWink

From Osterberg's 'Sterling Silver Flatware for Dining Elegance' (1994)...

These are jelly spoons/servers - notice the difference from yours in both the smaller size and their proportion:

3182020103710.jpg

These are jelly knives, if your piece is relatively flat, that's probably what it is:

3182020103725.jpg

Here are vegetable spoons, they are generally a bit larger than your piece, but if the working end has a definite 'bowl' shape to it, then it's likely some sort of serving spoon:

3182020103647.jpg

~Cheryl

10. Marie Forjan

I tried to get a shot from the side, do you think jelly knife is closest?

PegSrvngSpoonSd.jpg

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a similar one used by my ex-husband's grandmother for cranberry jelly also.

12. DragonflyWink

Looks to me like a jelly knife that's been 'adjusted' a bit...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

So a former owner bent it slightly? That’s possible.

Hi Bev, yep, I guess it would be a “take out the good stuff for Thanksgiving” piece :)

14. DragonflyWink

Couldn't find a side-shot of a Knowles jelly knife, but believe you can see in this pic how the blade should look:

jellyknifeknowleslexington.JPG

Here is a side-shot of a similarly shaped Gorham jelly knife:

jellyknifegorhamimpchrys.JPG

And here's a different type Knowles jelly knife that I just want:

jellyknifeknowlesmedallion.JPG

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

So someone flattened the side and curved the blade a little, well that puts a crimp in trying to sell it online!

Thank you so much Cheryl for the research and finding all those images for me, it is truly appreciated!

16. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Possibly for ice cream too. Considering the size.

17. DragonflyWink

Eh, it's only 7.5" long - way too small for an ice cream knife/slice/server...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted