Featured Help with a stone ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

so i bought a few items off of a woman in her late 80s who claimed some were her mothers and some she had fr years...most have the sterling and whatever else was inside worn off from repeated wear...can anyone help me with this one EB653EAE-7B84-4D41-A9F7-AF657F97561D.jpeg 9D6A90A1-D3AE-4539-ADFF-F5975E5B8B9E.jpeg C6366F97-A94F-41D1-B33B-281718451B1C.jpeg 6F60EC88-72F6-4201-A8B0-E08E1D4CDE1A.jpeg F015D835-7381-4BE5-91B2-8CDDDC437556.jpeg

reader, i need help, Joan and 5 others like this.
  2. elizabeth buckley

elizabeth buckley New Member

Looks like it could be some type of jasper.

i need help likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's probably a Navajo ring, and it never did have any marks to wear off.

i need help likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Love these stones. Think they are all the same thing & some of the tiny cabochons definitely look like turquoise, so, even though the main stone does not look look any turquoise I recall seeing before, suspect it is. Turquoise can vary greatly in color, veining/inclusions, matrix, from mine to mine, meaningless that I haven't seen any like this before.

I agree it is Native American, Navajo likely as not, & old enough not to be marked up like a souvenir/collector piece made today.

@komokwa Any observations?

reader, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I was thinking green turquoise, too. Including @reader to tags.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's navajo...like.....but it doesn't look true to me...
    the face is cast...and the stones...whatever they are are very poorly picked and set around the oval...

reader, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I think that it is Navajo and that the stones are turquoise. Also from the backside and the small bubbles/imperfections that probably indicates sand casting. I think you may have acquired a real treasure. Perhaps a true pawn shop item. I want it!

8. komokwa

if it were a treasure...the stones would all match and be equally well set , and the stamping on the band would not seem as though it were an afterthought..... oh...and with a lightning bolt.... . mehh...not so much...

reader, judy and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The cabochons that are a very different shape/size also differ in color & could be replacements.

reader, i need help and BMRT like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I really think the stone just past three o'clock is a replacement.

And maybe the one right before eleven.

reader, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Looks older and more primitive that old pawn / Fred Harvey period. Don't recognize the stone origin - could be Silver Fox turquoise.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a very nice ring. I'm with patd, it could have been made during the time generally known as Fred Harvey period.
    The cluster style looks Zuni inspired, but the split shank and the stamped decorations look more Navajo. It doesn't have to be either. I am on the fence as to the origin.

With those trade type stamped designs it doesn't look Old Pawn to me. Old Pawn was heavy jewellery made for their own use and investment.

I agree with Bronwen, some stones could have been replaced. They also look very shiny, which is unusual.
    This one was probably never marked.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I wonder if the band was recycled from a Navajo bracelet, buckle, button, etc. which would explain why there are partial stampings, but I'm not an expert on Navajo jewelry. I do really like the ring, though.

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Driving home from Santa Fe NM as I post. Going in and out of internet so will finish later if I get bumped off. Can’t identify stones off a phone but agree it’s older.

I like it too but also agree that it’s way too rough to be old pawn and appears to me to either be an old tourist piece or an old SW hobbyist piece. Stamping sure looks no newer than 50s to me and I agree unmatched stones could be replacements but could be original too.

IMO it shows both Zuni and Navajo attributions which means zip-happens frequently with mixed tribe marriages, hobbyists. etc.

Agree with Komokwa that it was not made as a quality piece but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t way cool, a great color, and of age.

With respect I think mine attribution is absurd. I hate those charts. Not only can you get multiple veins of hugely different color and matrix in a single mine but I’ll always subscribe to the school that turquoise shouldn’t be mine attributed unless you were the miner pulling it out or have original documentation from a known reputable dealer. And even then...

I think it’s very salable and needs no further research other than definite identification of the stones and silver which IMO should be done by a jeweler.

Since it can’t be definitely tribe or artist identified it becomes a “Vintage Southwestern Sterling (after being checked)Green Stone (hopefully identified) Large Cluster Stamped Ring” or similar.

IMO do not use Fed Harvey Era if listing. That’s total keyword spam. I hate when I see that if it isn’t an authentic stamped piece.

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m home and just looked on a real screen and honestly have no idea what stones I’m looking at. I have a lot of vintage NA green turquoise and mine doesn’t look like yours, but I’m no gemologist. Take it to a jeweler to identify the stones and double check that it’s silver (which it appears to be). If you’re keeping it, enjoy. If you’re selling, I think the keywords that I already posted are fine. Are some of those stones chipped?

Any Jewelry, BMRT and i need help like this.
  16. Ashley Felton

Just a little chip...nothing major

0BB07402-0F4D-41F0-911D-7ACBC8A7721B.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  17. Ashley Felton

Are the three suns carved in both sides any indication of a tribe or artist? I was reading some native artists use certain amounts of symbols to represent their children or family members etc??? This is all new to me ...appreciate all the great info I’ve retrieved from these posts!!!!

18. komokwa

none here...just someone with a set of punches ( or stamps..)
    they are stamped into the silver using a metal punch with a design at the end.

upload_2019-8-17_3-14-7.jpeg

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Anyone has been able to buy NA symbol stamps for at least 60 years.

reader, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  20. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted