Help with age and maker please, as cups and saucers have no mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jolly, Oct 3, 2018.

1. jolly

jolly New Member

Hello Antiquers, this is my first question.

I have two cups and saucers with no markings on but unusual handles. Any help with age and maker would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pat P likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing mid to late 1800s.

Could be English, but could also be German.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Too delicate for Aynsley. The shallower cups tend to be Continental, from what I've seen.

judy likes this.
  5. jolly

jolly New Member

I'm have joined a facebook group and someone said that the cup and saucer are of a Coalport Adelaide shape which after doing some googling appears to be right.

However I still don't know much about the cup on the left. On the bottom of the saucer (I need to add another photo) I have been told it has a suspension hole. Can someone please tell what that is and what it means please.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They've certainly got the quality for Coalport. A suspension hole is so you can hang a saucer by its foot in a kiln.

7. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Hi Jolly, could you post a photo of the right hand cup's entire handle to include join with cup please. If no one already has I will then check Berthouds tea cups.

Draft saved Draft deleted