Help with age of My inherited oak furniture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Nov 29, 2014.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I was just given these five pieces of my parents furniture. Seems my siblings had no interest in them. Any help with ID and age would be helpful. Sorry in advance for some of the poor pictures.
    Mikey

atree 19957.jpg
    atree 19958.jpg
    Dining table has three leaf's and six chairs..
    atree 19954.jpg
    atree 19955.jpg
    China cabinet or hutch, not sure what to call this.
    atree 19951.jpg
    Pie safe.
    atree 19947.jpg
    Not sure if this is a desk or vanity? has three drawers, fold down part, and mirror.
    atree 19949.jpg
    last one and not sure what to call this either.

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Great for utility, looks OK for quality, not much in the antiquity department. My feeling is that the stuff is about 40 years old.

3. Vern

Vern Active Member

Just by the look, and I'd need to get into them, afantiques is in the ballpark within 10 years or so on them. I like the oak china cabinet. We don't see much oak in Alaska...

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Dining table is circa 1900. Can't see the chairs well enough to tell age. Look like they may be T-backs. If so, they would be late teens-twenties. Tall kitchen cupboard is also circa 1900. Pie safe is older in appearance but seems to be cobbled together from old parts. Your side by side secretary is about 1900. Your double china cabinet/server is also about 1900. This Victorian oak furniture was mass produced and available virtually unchanged for about 25 years or so. 1890 to WWI.

5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I'm with Brad on the ag of these.
    BTW, I would bet many pie safes were "cobbled together" by the men in the families. Not all perhaps, but many.

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>I'm with Brad on the ag of these.<

Ditto here.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. It's quarter sawn oak. It's not quite into the Craftsman designs, so I'd guess 1900-1910 on the age too. There isn't much of a market for it at the moment, but I'll bet it works just fine and you're not selling it anyway.

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Early 1900's.......I'm all in !!!
    That's solid handmade hardwood furniture....and as hand me downs go.......sign me up for 2nd's !!!
    The dining room table is eye catching !

9. komokwa

your siblings............THEIR LOSS !!!!

10. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks to all for the information. I am not going to sell any of it

11. 916Bulldogs123

My last message posted before I was finished. My parents will keep all their items for as long as they are still with us. But with quite a bit of items they are beginning to start a list of who gets. what. with five children I am amazed at the fact no one jumped on this furniture. Only problem now is that four of us want the player piano that my dad restored years ago.

antidiem likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mikey,
    It is good that your parents are "shedding" some stuff to you and your sibs. My in-laws are asking about who wants what but until the end even so it will be a mess. My father-in-law is such a hoader of garbage stuff that no one wants. When I helped them move 10 years ago. I found an old empty fishing tackle box wrapped in 1971 newspaper shoved under a stair. He had no idea he had it but it got rewrapped in 2004 paper and boxed. He
    used to save a plastic can that hams came in to water the dog when he went hunting, he has not had a dog or gone hunting in 15 years. I found a black plastic bag with 40 ham cans. They moved. I always tell my MIL that when he dies instead of cleaning out the basement of his stuff, just seal up the door with drywall and say there is NO basement. I wish the basement had great things to discover but I KNOW what is done there. The worst is dozens of cans of dried out house paint 30 years old and older.
    greg

13. 916Bulldogs123

Not my parents at all. my mom was a hoarder of memorabilia of all her children's things like pictures, birthday cards, and even valentine cards. on thanksgiving she handed over to all of us these boxes she bought at i think the dollar store. the boxes, are larger than two shoe boxes. printing on the outside read STUFF. Mine was full of all sorts of things from i was a child. And i finally received my Birth certificate from her that was in the top of the box

14. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

How nice that your Mom kept your memorabilia. :)

I have 3 albums with my daughter's school pics from kindergarten through high school. When I die they get them. Its neat to go through the albums and watch them grow up before my eyes. :)

I did give them their baptism gowns and confirmation stuff years ago.

antidiem and elarnia like this.
  15. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

My sister (the third child) points out that Mom had a book of pictures of me (the oldest), all labeled and captioned, a book of pictures of our brother, labeled, and a shoe box of pictures of her.:p

cxgirl and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  16. komokwa

Years ago....a lawyer walked into the gallery with a large box of native items, and asked it I'd help valuate them, for the children who were splitting up the estate hard goods.

Sure...why not " I said"..
    & after 15 minutes I let him know what he had and where the value was.
    From a dollar store toy leather drum, to a 8 inch haida argillite poll..ad in between.
    He thanked me , & then went off to deal with 5 kids who wanted what each other was getting.
    There was other art in the house that was high value and hotly contested.

Five months later he walked back in with a smaller box...and a painting.
    No one wanted this stuff & he felt bad that I'd helped him for free.......
    so here...it was now mine.

He left sheepishly ,but I assured him we were cool !!
    The box had nothing of value........but I'd never seen the painting before.
    It's not for everyone....but back then it was worth a FMV..of around $1200 to $1500.
    Karma ....sometimes..

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Elarnia - At least she has pictures! My brother in-law has precisely one baby picture, and it's a group shot with his three somewhat older siblings. By the time he came along nobody was taking baby pictures of this latest oopsie I guess.

elarnia likes this.
  18. komokwa

here it is....

Attached Files:

cxgirl, say_it_slowly and Figtree3 like this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Mikey-
    Did your parents acquire the table and chairs in the 1970s? If so this was a time of high import of English "antiques". Containers of furniture were brought in by the boat load.

I think the table is 1920s English or Scottish. I'm basing this on the 6 legs in the middle.
    I think the 4 chairs are later based on the curve of the back. Picture 4
    Also in picture 4 are two chairs either side of the kitchen cabinet. These two chairs are probably the same age as the table and also English or Scottish.

I agree with Brad on all the rest.

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice! Do you have it hanging on a wall?

Draft saved Draft deleted