Featured Help with antique, heavy bucket(?) w/metal bands & forged nails?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 7, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my local thrift store & at first I thought it was a antique bucket, but -
    It's very heavy
    The interior is not done to the bottom; only about 3/4 of the way
    It has steel/metal bands around it & they are held in place with what looks like hand forged nails/nail heads
    And it's the same size high as it is wide; 10" x 10"
    My 2nd thought after lifting it & feeling the weight and also the short scooping out of the interior - it reminded me of a antique cannon; the ones with short barrels!
    I'm pretty sure it's not that - but what is this?
    Thanks for any help!

COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 1A_AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 1AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 8AA.JPG

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

My first thought is something for measuring dry goods, like grain. But this is purely a guess.

bercrystal and judy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Makes more likely sense than a early cannon or cannonball maker/storer!
    How old would you guess it is?

bercrystal likes this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Cool looking thing. Not maybe for gunpowder or some explosive?

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Maybe the yellow and red bands acts as a ‘warning’

bercrystal likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes maybe. But seems pretty ‘over engineered’ to measure grain with. Also why doesn’t it have handles?

bercrystal likes this.
  7. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Is it one piece of solid wood? I'm guessing some sort of industrial application... not sure!

bercrystal and Boland like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought about the not having handles. Kind of based my guess on what appears to be a controlled depth. Perhaps it was just a means to keep it bottom heavy.

bercrystal and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That also makes sense.. Well it’s interesting. Hopefully someone knows or figures it out..

bercrystal and sabre123 like this.
  10. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

I believe that it was used to measure and pack gunpowder! I believe that it is tapered larger at the top and smaller at the bottom. This would facilitate the easy removal after the gunpowder was packed into a semisolid plug. The plug would then be sewn into a cotton bag. This combo made quick loading in the field, drop the bag down the muzzle of a cannon, ram it to the bottom, insert the cannonball and ram it into the powder-filled bag, then fire. The one-piece construction also lends itself to this purpose so that no dust could escape thru seams. Leather bags were also used for this. Just an educated memory of antiquing over 50 years ago in New England while working with George Michael in Rochester NH.

Boland likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

I just saw the comment on it being tapered so I measured the bottom - the top is 10" across and the bottom is 9.5" ! (see 1st photo below)
    Would this be from the civil war?
    There is also an indention around the bottom between last 2 red bands (see 2nd photo) - maybe a rope some
    how went around it? (I thought the steel band had slipped but it's nailed into place at the very bottom.
    PS - The colors being warnings was a great observation.
    What would they call these?
    PSS - I think this may be the coolest $19.95 I've spent!
    Thank you all!

COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 2BAA.JPG

COLLECTIBLE BUCKET WOOD ANTIQUE 2AA.JPG

Boland and bercrystal like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I actually had a civil war cannon shot packed in cloth - it was called a grapeshot (I just remembered it thanks to David Kiehl!
    But - it was smaller than what this barrel would make?
    Did the barrels have a name? I've tried wording it different ways but nothing yet.

bercrystal likes this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Great information and comment. Thanks

15. journeymagazine

Is this civil war era? Was there a name for the instrument used to pack gunpowder & shot?
    If not would I call this a bucket or a barrel?
    Thanks all

16. David Kiehl

bercrystal likes this.
  17. David Kiehl

Bucket

bercrystal likes this.
  18. David Kiehl

bercrystal likes this.
  19. journeymagazine

I got a reply from them - here it is:

Hello Charlie,
    I looked at the photos you posted on that online antique forum. I haven't seen anything like it in a military context. It's not quite like an sponge buckets or grease pots I've seen related to artillery. It's also different than any powder storage containers I've seen. Copper bands are the hallmark of those.

I believe this heavy duty bucket is for some kind of food press, though whether wine, cider, or etc. I do not know. Thank you for sharing this object with us and good luck in chasing down exactly what it is!

Best Regards,

Stuart Lilie

Vice President of Public History

20. journeymagazine

I just thought of something - if it was for a press; how did the press reach the bottom to squeeze out all the juice when the bottom is tapered/smaller than the top?

David Kiehl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted