Help with Antique Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kneegloc, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Kneegloc

Kneegloc New Member

Hello. This is my second posting here on the forum... You guys are great! I have an antique lamp that I inherited from my great aunt. I don't know how old it is. I remember being fascinated by it as a child, and I'm now 42. There's an oval sticker on the bottom that says "Village Green Shop" from Clarks Summit (nearby). But, I'm wondering if they bought it from somewhere else to sell in their store... Any info on the maker/company and date would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! IMG_20151120_213509.jpg

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've seen these and can't offer more than that but stand by for help. Many are likely away for the holiday.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice figural radio lamp. This is not one I have seen before. A lot of these were from the 30s but the way yours is styled and painted makes me think this one to be a bit later. Maybe 40s-50s. Sounds like the label is just the retailer. Makers are not generally known on most of these. Many were imported. They are generally evaluated on their appeal, quality, and condition.

4. Kneegloc

Kneegloc New Member

Is that what it's called? "Figural Radio Lamp." I never knew... Thank you! I believe the "fiddle" fell off at one point and was re-attached... Other than that, it actually works! lol Thank you!

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

To get more precise info. Show the plug, the underside, and remove globe and photog the bulb socket.

6. Kneegloc

Kneegloc New Member

My camera isn't that good, so I hope these will do... IMG_20151128_153834.jpg IMG_20151128_153902.jpg IMG_20151128_154206.jpg

7. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Nothing to add about your item, but just wanted to say "hi" from a fellow Pennsylvanian! :)

komokwa likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Agree, can even say it was sold at retail post June '63 since the label on bottom has a zip code.

komokwa likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Yep .... later than I thought based on what I see in the detail pics. Radio lamps became TV lamps in the 50s, though this follows the convention of the earlier forms. This might be considered a reproduction but I don't know if it actually reproduces a known earlier lamp or not.

11. Kneegloc

Kneegloc New Member

Cool! Thanks everyone! I haven't seen anything like it on the 'net, so, from what you said, I think it's probably a one-of-a-kind knock-off of some sort. Thanks, again! :)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wouldn't be so quick to call it a one of a kind.......

the net has lots of things...but not everything.

that store could have sold hundreds....still sitting in homes and garages ....photos never taken of them...

13. Kneegloc

Kneegloc New Member

Point taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted