Featured HELP WITH ANTIQUE WOOD FISHING POLE w/WOOD REEL

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 17, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought a group of old fishing poles at a auction for a antique shop that went out of business - including this old wood pole with a wood reel!
    I think it's a fly fishing reel?
    I've looked but can not find a name anywhere - any idea where I might find a name? Or hopefully someone knows what I have?
    How old is it?
    Lastly, it's a 2 piece rod but after so many years together I can't separate the 2 pieces - what is the best/safest thing to do to get the 2 pieces apart?
    Thanks!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 3AAA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 2A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 3BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 5AAA.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Large wooden centre pin reels are known as Scarborough Reels over here.
    That looks too big for a fly reel, its for sea fishing / beach casting.

To release the ferrule apply some heat from a cigarette lighter or candle to the outer (female) ferrule, which should make it expand and then pull away from the inner ferrule (male)

To prevent it sticking again put some wax or vaseline on the male.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

4. journeymagazine

That looks just like it! Now to find the pole's name - maybe it's a starback too?
    Thank you!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

To prevent it sticking again put some wax or vaseline on the male.

Oh Davey.....yer killin me here...!! ;):playful::playful::playful::wideyed::wideyed:

kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  6. journeymagazine

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

An innocent remark taken out of context.

But how would I know, I`m just a boozed up brawler.:rolleyes::D

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  8. journeymagazine

The lighter to where they join worked perfectly!
    Thank you!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 6A_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY FISHING POLES NAMNOO WOOD ROD & WOOD REEL 6AAA.jpg

komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh...right !
    You'd know cuz you post em in the Funnies...all the time ! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted