Featured Help with Art Nouveau? Festoon Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Yesterday was my lucky day at Savers...found this necklace for $6.75 and am wondering where and when it would have been made, and if "art nouveau" is the right term to use in describing it. It's 2.5" across at the widest part of the center element. No signature or other identifying marks...I've used a magnifying glass to look all over the clasp, connecting links, and front pieces. The chain links have a fancy stamped design. Any information will be appreciated.

PurpleRhinestoneFestoonNecklace-1.jpg PurpleRhinestoneFestoonNecklace-2.jpg PurpleRhinestoneFestoonNecklace-3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, Joan, and a bargain!
    It looks Bohemian to me, just before Bohemian became Czech.;) I hope that makes sense.
    Let's wait for the Czech costume jewellery mavens though, @Ownedbybear , @KSW , @Lucille.b . I am sure I missed someone there.:sorry:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, AJ, for that lightning fast response. According to my Google search, Bohemia became part of Czechoslovakia in 1918 so it's probably from the 19teens? Would that be a little late to call it art nouveau?

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a lovely thing. I agree on Bohemian. 1910s into early 20s ish.

It's not really Art Nouveau, imo, a bit too realistically floral.

5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you OBB.

6. Ownedbybear

THat would be going straight to my Hoard.

7. Any Jewelry

I think it is a continuation of the Austro-Hungarian Historic Revival style, with that Renaissance-Baroque-ish look. (Too many hyphens.:shame:)
    Bohemia was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and Bohemian/Czech costume jewellery started life in that tradition.

8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Maybe art nouveau isn't the right term for a Bohemian necklace. I'm trying to find the right terms to use if/when I sell it. The only ebay costume jewelry category it would seem to fit in would be Art Nouveau/Art Deco 1895-1935. I have to leave now to run some errands, so may not be able to respond promptly to any other comments.

9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you again, AJ, those terms will be helpful when I sell it.

10. Any Jewelry

Bohemia also had Art Nouveau. The capital Prague even had the Viennese Art Nouveau style, called Secession. Prague also has quite a few gorgeous Art Nouveau buildings.:)

kyratango, Lucille.b, Joan and 3 others like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

It's not Art Deco at all, imo. Ebay's categories are random. ;) Certainly that Austro Hungarian thing.

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, not Nouveau style at all, but lovely!

kyratango, Ownedbybear, Joan and 3 others like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow that’s a stunner!
    Do you think it originally had a piece at the top where that little rectangle is now? Similar to the sides and bottom?
    Either way it’s fabulous and I’d have snipped it up in a jiffy!

kyratango, Any Jewelry, Joan and 2 others like this.
  14. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

It was designed to be straight across the top because there's a cluster of leaves above the center stone, whereas on the sides and bottom there are three stems going out from the center stone. However, on the back you can see that the top of the stamped brass piece was snipped off to make the front design work.

kyratango, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I've an Austro Hungarian brooch which looks sort of cut off, but it's part of the design.

kyratango and Joan like this.
  16. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You're right about ebay's categories being random. There really isn't any category that seems accurate for this necklace. When I searched "Antique Austro Hungarian Necklace", only 4 were listed as sold: two in the Victorian & Edwardian Costume Jewelry 1837-1910 category, and two in the Art Nouveau/Art Deco 1895-1935 category.

So based on everyone's comments I'm thinking it would be accurate to use "Antique Austro-Hungarian Bohemian/Czech Brass Purple Rhinestones Dangle Necklace" as the title (80 characters--the maximum). "Festoon" probably isn't right since it doesn't have swags or draped chains? I'd probably put it in the Art Nouveau/Art Deco category 1895-1935 -- hopefully knowledgeable buyers will understand ebay's category limitations. Or I suppose to be more accurate, I should put it in the "Other Vintage Costume Jewelry Category." Other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

That's a good title, you've every keyword that matters. Can you put it in two categories?

kyratango, Joan and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Personally as a non-expert but a lover of all jewellery of art nouveau/ secessionist style, I would put it under Edwardian/ Victorian. It's great, but won't appeal that much to Art Nouveau collectors IMO.

19. Ownedbybear

Good point.

kyratango and KylieS like this.
  20. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Yes, I could put it in two categories--good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted