HELP WITH ARTIST'S NAME OF HAITIAN? AFRICAN? IMPRESSIONISTIC PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 28, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to a local thrifts store late this afternoon after doing my estate sale all day; about 30 min before closing - and found this piece just sitting there! AND! when I asked how much, the manager - in the middle of starting to close the store - said, "$10"!!
    I thanked him and wished him a wonderful week-end as I zipped out before he changed his mind!
    Usually nothing new is put out on Sat - it's 1/2 price day to get rid of slow moving merchandise - and what is there that has any coolness is snapped up by bargain hunters.

I don't know how this lasted all day but I was a happy camper!

Is this Haitian or African or? - I thought Haitian because the canvas is just a threadbare wisp of a canvas, and most Haitian paintings I find look like 'found' rejects to paint on - they have no art store they can run down to & they use what they can find.
    Can anyone make out the name? I see Reugensio? but nothing comes up.
    Thanks for any help - it's appreciated!

AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING AFRICAN ABSTRACT 1AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING AFRICAN ABSTRACT 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING AFRICAN ABSTRACT 3AA.jpg

aaroncab and judy like this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Not sure on artist as I couldn't find nothing on the name or anyone similar. By your second image it looks to be a print on canvas. Very flat looking and couldn't see any brush strokes as I looked at the second image closer

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Its a painting. I can feel the dried paint.

judy likes this.
  4. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Although I can't make it out completely, the signature looks more Portuguese to me than Haitian. Perhaps Northeast Brazilian (yellow and blue on a woman's head wrap) or from Angola in Africa?

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted