Featured Help with artist's name with AWS (American watercolor society?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 27, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a thrift store & I liked it but thought it looked a little dreary.
    I bought though because even though I couldn't make out the artist's name, I did see the AWS - which I believe is the American Watercolor Society?
    Can anyone tell who the artist is?
    Does anyone like the art?
    Thank you

20240527_160030.jpg 20240527_160035.jpg 20240527_160040.jpg 20240527_160102.jpg 20240527_160100.jpg 20240527_160125.jpg

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Me: No
    Me: Yes

Figtree3 and laura9797 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nice. Pity artist's name can't be easily read.

Debora

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done!

Debora

johnnycb09, Aquitaine and Roaring20s like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Great catch Roar !

johnnycb09 and Roaring20s like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I blew it up easily enough, but that honestly didn't help me interpret his name!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD on you @Roaring20s !!!!

20240527_160100-text-shapes-4x.jpg

8. journeymagazine

9. Roaring20s

If anyone is interested ...

When I first saw the signature and its bucolic subject, I skipped over this post immediately.

Later, I returned for a second look. My first guesses were Ayna, Aynn, Foinn, Foina, Foynn and Foyna. Then I skipped it again.

To form my own observations, I like to look at the images before reading the post. The next time I peeked at it, I read the posted text. The AWS was logical, and that's how an "A" should look. I found a list of AWS members starting with an "F", naming a different Flynn. Now the swopping "L" conjoined with the "Y" became clear.

Watercolor by Flynn AWS, was the word search.

10. Mike Mac Dnald

Mike Mac Dnald Active Member

I know this sounds old fashioned - I'm old - people used to take pride in their signature. I think it started in the mid eighties when things went south, so many siggies were reduced to being scribbles in all the professional sports leagues. Its worse with art. These are talented people with unrecognizable signatures (except for Roaring20s) . You'd think that artists, above all others, would have beautiful penmanship. Below link, one of the reasons I liked Harmon Killebrew, Minnesota Twins HOFER.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/signature-...n-killebrew-for-autograph-neatness/c-56073436

Aquitaine, Roaring20s and Marote like this.
  11. bosko69

You're like a WWII Codebreaker Roaring-thanks for sharing your 'behind the scenes' magic.

12. Roaring20s

My signature is unintelligible and if I try to form the letters correctly it's downright childish! :artist:

13. bosko69

Artists went nuts for sloppy sigs in the 50's-painters,potters-their signatures were even looser than their brushstrokes.

14. journeymagazine

That's the perfect example - code breaker! And the methodical way went about it - I wish my mind worked that way!

Marote and Roaring20s like this.
  15. bosko69

We've got an amazing group of 'code breakers' here.

Figtree3 and Marote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted