Help with Asian tea set

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Herons, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Herons

Herons New Member

I was hoping to find out a bit more about this tea set.

I got it from a woman who said it was purchased at a market near Lahore Pakistan, at least 40 years ago and that the pattern in it is hand hammered. She was not sure if it was new at the time.

Except for a the number "5" stamped on the tea pot lid hinge there are no identifying marks that I can find. It is nice and shiny and does not seem to react to silver polish, so I doubt is silver plated. I think the metal is solid throughout i.e. I scratched the inside of the pepper shaker and it did not appear to be any copper or brass beneath the surface. I am thinking perhaps it is "German Silver" (i.e. no silver content at all). It has a reasonable weight to it and does not feel "cheap".

I think it is quite beautiful and believe if it is of any value that is probably more in the handy work rather than the metal. I only found a photo of another fairly similar tea set on a Pakistani auction site, but unfortunately only the photo was available as the auction was over.

If anyone has any more information or comments I would like to hear them. Is it of any value? And if permissible to state (or private message me) what value should I put on it if I want to sell it.

Thanks in advance!

_D7K1883_1000px.jpg _D7K1874_1000px.jpg _D7K1876_1000px.jpg _D7K1882_1000px.jpg _D7K1887_1000px.jpg _D7K1888_1000px.jpg _D7K1889_1000px.jpg _D7K1890_1000px.jpg _D7K1892_1000px.jpg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe a ' coffee ' set........;)
    I don't think the S&P go with it...
    There may be small marks there u have not yet seen or don't recognize ....they can be hidden...
    I think the sugar is missing a lid..
    Nothing on the bases or back of the tray???
    We'd still like to see that though.:)

Can't even consider a value untill we drill down to what it is and where it was made !!! :sorry::sorry:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree.
    And made in Pakistan. As you said, it may not be silver. Can you have it tested somewhere near you, using a test that won't damage it in any way?

If you have more silver items, maybe buying your own silver test kit would be worthwhile. A kit should contain a testing stone and testing acid. Always rub an inconspicuous part of the silver on the stone and place a drop of the acid on the rub stripe, never test directly on the object.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Herons

Herons New Member

Thank you all for your informative replies.

I have a bit more information as your observations led me to looking at this from a different point of view. It was suggested that the salt and pepper shakers probably did not belong to the set and as it was one of the shakers that I scratched to test for plating or not, I took a closer look at the other pieces with a magnifying glass ( I was also looking for marks I may have missed in English or otherwise). On closer inspection of the tray (magnified) I noticed some small scratches and what looks probably like brass beneath. I scratched the inside of the creamer jug in an inconspicuous place and it appears there is brass below the surface too - so I am going to say that it is plated - probably brass. Silver plate, or otherwise, I am not sure. Unfortunately, though I went over all the pieces several times I still could not find any marker's marks in English or any other language. I checked all over, inside, outside, inner handles, all sides of spout and hinges, lid and all legs, inside and out. tray back and front and edges etc. I am including photos of the back of the tray and underside of the creamer as asked for ( sugar and coffee/tea pot are the same).

Given that it is probably a decorative piece(s) of plated brass about 50 years old, a bit crudely cast, with some reasonably done handy work, any ideas on value for retail? ( please post if allowed, or message me if not)

Thanks - the research journey is sometimes the most fun part about acquiring a piece(s) like this - you always learn something along the way!

back try_1000px.jpg back_1000px.jpg

komokwa likes this.