Featured Help with blue and white tile

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Jan 15, 2024.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This tile is an enigma to me. It has a chinoiserie style hand painted pattern but I don’t think it’s Chinese. It looks more like a French version of a Chinese scene.

It seems to be entirely hand made and is not square measuring 12.2x 11.8 cm and 7mm thick.

The back should help as it has an almost hessian feel to it. I can’t find anything like it. It’s not delft or faience.

Any ideas?

IMG_6823.jpeg IMG_6824.jpeg IMG_6827.jpeg IMG_6828.jpeg

Figtree3, judy, Chinoiserie and 6 others like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Wonder if the hessian is wallpaper. Might have a pattern on it. Maybe steam it off and see.:bag:

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would call the scene Chinoiserie, but can't put a date on it.

4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

No it’s definitely the texture of the tile.

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i get a delft vibe from the way its painted, and look of the back.
    but not sure if they did chinese patterns at all ?

dont think old old

6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

The back doesn't look that old to me. I would say a repro of an older design?

Looking at some examples online I would say delft also. Those corners seem to crop up a lot in Dutch designs, as do the building. The Chinese look could be explained in that delft ware had a Chinese influence, as did a lot of ceramics.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I don't know much about tiles, but the fabric impressed back makes me think that it was made by hand -- studio pottery, a student work, something like that. However, as I say, I don't know much about process of making tiles.

Figtree3 and John Brassey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted