Help with Bohemian Glass/Moser/Egermann

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tammy Mattingly, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Tammy Mattingly

Tammy Mattingly New Member

I have a beautiful Ruby Etched Glass Vase that is supposedly Moser. Any idea on the maker or age?
    [​IMG]

Makanudo likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Who cares! Yummy!!

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It looks cut not etched to me. My option is not Moser quality, lack of detail at least in photo. The shape and cut do lead me towards Egerman. Have you tried http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/ for the shape.

4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

I'll ditto above for Egerman. I did some scans, but you are talking about 300 years of glass making. Search Egerman Glass factory for examples.
    He invented cut to clear about 1765 and there is a Czech factory named after him.

5. Tammy Mattingly

Thank you!

6. Tammy Mattingly

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Egermann invented the red color in the 1830s.
    The glass is still being produced. Click pictures to enlarge
    http://www.egermann.cz/?go=products

My observation is that the newer glass bases are hollow and colored red making for a lighter weight piece of glass. Older pieces have a solid glass base that have been polished.
    Again this is only my observation and I could be wrong.

Tammy Mattingly likes this.
  8. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, CC. And I mean that. :cool:

Egerman wasn't born until 1877 and invented many different glass processes, which some OLDGUYS who haven't handled any of his pieces in 5 years do get confused about.

Corrections are always appreciated, as long as YOU know what you're talking about. :cold:

9. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

Very nice piece.

Tammy Mattingly likes this.
  10. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Then why does the website's main page say he was born in 1777?

http://www.egermann.cz/

11. TheOLdGuy

Then why does the website's main page say he was born in 1777?

Egerman invented the red color in the 1830s.

Because, Dear Uncle, on both sides of my family (U2?) when you're past the 80 mark you begin to jumble the brain by simply sneezing. Happens a lot if your Rottweiler shakes off his dust near you. :rolleyes:

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted