Featured Help with Boucher Pieces Please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Aug 14, 2021.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I have some Boucher pieces I need help with. All pieces are marked with the copyright mark, so date 1955-1971
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    #1 is a necklace, marked #7716N which led me another one (RubyLane and Ebay, same seller, link below). I notice on mine, I have an extra piece at the back, I thought maybe an extender? Each piece is numbered 1-25 except for the extender/odd piece. Mine is also 15"L, the extra piece adds 1 1/4". I wondered why the necklace had 2 clasps, maybe that piece doesn't belong?
    DSCF9154.jpeg

DSCF9160.jpeg

DSCF9151.jpeg
    DSCF9089.jpeg
    DSCF9145.jpeg

DSCF9147.jpeg

https://www.rubylane.com/item/1275340-174/Vtg-BOUCHER-Checkerboard-Pave-Rhinestone-Collar

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

#2 is this brooch and earring set - how would I describe these? Curls or swirls? Or just say Boucher and Earring set? Clear and Amber coloured rhinestones? I believe from the shape the amber ones are called baguettes? all pieces marked Boucher and 7235 (brooch) and 7236 (earrings). Sorry, I suck at jewelry
    DSCF9138 (1).jpeg

3. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

I would consider that extender a bonus since most of our necks aren’t as slim as they were back then. It matches nicely but don’t think it’s original since the back is different. I’d call the brooch & earrings ribbon swirl. Nice pieces.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Necklace looks like a Buccellati knock-off. Here's something similar.

Debora

3306633_master.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Pattwithay:) I'll include the extender with the necklace and explain it probably isn't original.
    Ribbon swirl sounds great!

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I must be missing something Debra, I'm not sure how this helps?

Any Jewelry and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, thought you wanted general information on your piece. It appears that your Boucher costume jewelry necklace was inspired by the work of the fine jewelry company Buccellati. In the 1960s, they produced necklaces similar in style. (I posted an image of one.) The linear engraving on your necklace mimics one of Buccellati's signature techniques. It's called rigato. Of course, the workmanship on Buccellati's pieces is finer as it's done by hand, not cast.

Debora

ad4bbb9a-5ca6-11e8-a4de-9f5e0e4dd719_image_hires_142146.jpg

KSW, kyratango, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for explaining, I couldn't figure out why you posted it:) Maybe it is the other way around though. From my understanding of the numbering system, the number on the necklace (7716N) dates it to pre-1960, by then the numbers were 7800+:) I'm not a jewelry person, so I don't know for sure, but I would imagine there are many examples of different companies producing pieces that were very similar in design:)

9. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

10. Aznathalie

I have often seen such additional clasps on vintage necklaces. If someone is not comfortable, you can lengthen

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  11. Aznathalie

You will find a lot of boucher collar necklace extander piece.

cxgirl, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Boucher. It is one of the most desirable costume designers. Their pieces are such high quality.

Looking at similar necklaces none seemed to be sold with that extender, so I agree it is likely a high quality addition, and in my opinion ADDS value to the piece. Someone can use it or not, and is great to have that option.

Your necklace seems in fantastic condition. Great find!

cxgirl likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

As for the pin and earrings set. Great find, too! I think buyers search Boucher, so that is going to be your main draw. Be sure to say "signed" in the title, maybe "signed, numbered". It could be an idea to mention amber and clear rhinestones in the title, definitely more desirable than just clear. I think sometimes people call that color "champagne". Amber has fewer letters so works too if you are limited in title characters.

Guessing you'd do this, but in your description be sure to mention you are selling another Boucher piece, if you list these together. Boucher definitely has it's fans!

KSW and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies Aznathalie and Lucille:)

yes, no missing stones and just a bit of wear to the gold colour:)

great tips Lucille, thank-you:)

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted