Featured Help with buddaha pls

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vicky McFadden, Sep 7, 2019.

1. I have tryed to find info on this buddaha but I'm stomped I think he is theravada but can not find one with same hand mantra ECT any help greatly apparicated as I would like to research a few other items I have frm car boot ect so any tips gratefully apparicated also thanks In advance to any 1 taking time to read on

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. I'm sorry im new can you see my pictures

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Vicky!!! :happy::happy:

I can't help, but I know who to page. @Any Jewelry Your assistance is needed once again. :D:D

BTW your photos are showing up just fine.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Vicky.
    Nice little Buddha, could we see the base as well? And how small is he?

The position of the left hand is the Vitarka mudra, for teaching. The thumb and index finger form a circle to indicate the continuous flow of energy. Vitarka mudra is mostly done with the right hand, not the left.
    Unusually his right hand is in the Bhumiparsha mudra, of calling the earth to bear witness to his enlightenment. The fact that these are two mudras, could be why one is done with the left hand instead of the right.

Mantra is a sound or formula used in meditation.;)
    I think he could be Vajrayana, a form of Mahayana. But possibly made in Thailand as a copy of a Himalayan Vajrayana Buddha.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's easy for you to say !! :playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

Jivvy, aaroncab, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

LOL....I was thinking the very same thing!!

:cat:

8. Any Jewelry

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    And it is too.:playful:
    The hand postures are called mudras, they all symbolize something. The other funny words are schools in Buddhism.;)
    I got the impression Vicky knew her Theravada from her Mahayana.:pompous::hilarious:

kyratango, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

She did mention that word, didn't she...........Theravada..............

10. Any Jewelry

That's why.:)

kyratango, komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

komokwa, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Buddhism in a complicated nutshell :playful::

Theravada is the kind of Buddhism practised in Sri Lanka and mainland southeast Asia.
    Some people call it Hinayana, the small vehicle, because it is geared more towards a small spiritual elite.
    The best known Buddha statues from the Theravada region are from Thailand.

Mahayana means the great vehicle, it is the kind of Buddhism practised in the other Buddhist countries. It was developed so the people had more access to spiritual teachings.
    An important branch of Mahayana is Vajrayana, which is mainly practised in the Himalayas, parts of China, Mongolia, Indonesia. It is Buddhism mixed with local pre-Buddhist beliefs, for the purpose of finding the right way of attaining enlightenment.
    The best known Buddha statues from the Vajrayana region are from Nepal and Tibet.

:confused::confused::confused::)

13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Vicky !!! ... Joy. :)

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I believe whatever you post!!

15. Hi thanks very much for input i don't know much about buddaha but I'm enjoying learning,
    It was someone else who suggested theravada I have no clue,
    I carry this buddaha around with me and because I could not find no info I thought I would give him a little clean to see wot is under the rust much to my mum's dismay who told me off and gave me a very soft eye makeup brush so each day at several times I brush this budda and and glimpse all the detailing under it ,
    I am quite addicted I'm always nearly there ,
    But am I ok to brush this buddaha ?
    I am really very new to this,
    I have quite a few interesting buddaha I have collected through auctions so no history with them but I enjoy finding out all the same
    Thank you again for help
    Feel free to look at my others

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Oh and buddah is 7 cm and, am I finding it hard to research him because of the Vitarka mudra with both hands ? Is this common or would you know of reason why this is done

Thanks

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

welcome vicky

at the first it's buddha not buddaha:hilarious:
    and i think this is just ordinary tourist souvenir throughout south east asia,maybe it's thailand but it can be other countries too.it doesn't seem old,and for the age i think it's just few decades ago :angelic::angelic:

18. Any Jewelry

Vitarka mudra with one hand, Bhumiparsha mudra with the other.:)
    It is unusual, and could be due to the fact that the maker was not familiar with this particular style.
    I suspect your little Buddha is Thai made. Thailand has a huge brass souvenir industry and copies styles from other countries as well.The base shows it wasn't made by a traditional maker, but in great numbers.
    It won't hurt it.
    Do you carry it as a talisman, does it have a special meaning to you?

19. Any Jewelry

I agree, could have been made last week, but I get the impression Vicky is not interested in the age, more in what it represents and what it means to her personally.

20. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted